Just found a snail!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeyGeeze

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all

This morning after feeding I seen a tiny yellow thing in the back corner of my tank on the glass. As I looked closer I noticed it was a tiny snail! About the size of a small piece of gravel. I quickly went to grab my phone to take a picture. When I returned a minute later my pleco was where the snail WAS lol. I guess he ate it?? I looked for it but didn't find it again. Should I be alarmed I found a snail? Not quite sure where it came from or what it means, I haven't added anything new in a month.

Do you have live plants? If so that's proly where it came from.

That would be the cause prepare yourself for snail battle lol i can pull 10-20 of the nasty pond snails a day out and doesn't seem to make difference. I just switched substrates and cleaned all the eggs off my plants so i hope top have at least slowed them lol.

aoessand said:
That would be the cause prepare yourself for snail battle lol i can pull 10-20 of the nasty pond snails a day out and doesn't seem to make difference. I just switched substrates and cleaned all the eggs off my plants so i hope top have at least slowed them lol.

Oh geeze, I can't win, I'm just getting over my long battle with ich! I'm assuming my pleco ate the one I seen today. He was right in the spot where the snail was, and no sign of the snail haha.

JoeyGeeze said:
Hi all

This morning after feeding I seen a tiny yellow thing in the back corner of my tank on the glass. As I looked closer I noticed it was a tiny snail! About the size of a small piece of gravel. I quickly went to grab my phone to take a picture. When I returned a minute later my pleco was where the snail WAS lol. I guess he ate it?? I looked for it but didn't find it again. Should I be alarmed I found a snail? Not quite sure where it came from or what it means, I haven't added anything new in a month.

Sounds like a harmless little pond snail. As long as you don't over feed your tank their population won't explode. I use them in my fry tanks cus they eat all the leftover foods and clean the algae of my plants and glass. My bettas and assassin snails make them little snacks too. ;)

Starka said:
Sounds like a harmless little pond snail. As long as you don't over feed your tank their population won't explode. I use them in my fry tanks cus they eat all the leftover foods and clean the algae of my plants and glass. My bettas and assassin snails make them little snacks too. ;)

Ok thanks! Maybe they can clear some algae off my plants for me, that would be helpful! I won't panic too much unless I see them explode lol.

JoeyGeeze said:
Ok thanks! Maybe they can clear some algae off my plants for me, that would be helpful! I won't panic too much unless I see them explode lol.

They are a great way to find out if you are over feeding your tank. I consider them rather cute, they clean up dead plant materal and algae, and their free! Though I've never seen a pleco eat a snail?
If they do become overwhelming just cut the food down or get a couple of assassin snails. ;)

More than likely he just moved some of those little buggers can be pretty fast, I doubt the pleco ate him as they consume almost nothing but algae. He probably just went down into the substrate. At some point more than likely they will begin to overpopulate but there are plenty of solutions to keep them in check at that point though. As stated before assassin snails are pretty cool and kinda cool to watch feed, depending on the tank size there are plenty of fish out there that will eat them. At one point I had a pretty bad snail problem in my 20 gallon, I threw in a skunk botia and within a couple weeks they were gone except for a few.

Thanks guys! I'll see how it plays out and maybe pick up some assassin snails if things get crazy. I don't know how that thing survived my ich battle because I had the temp up and used some salt as well. I have kuhlis but I don't think they are snail eaters.

heh you would be surprised what snails can survive maybe its the eggs that survive i dont know. but i would say if u seen one you have at least ten more lol. i have red ramshorn snails thats why i dont want the pond snails lol i already spent money on snails! plus to me their are ugly brownish/black spots and they just make the tank look dirty imo but to each their own people say not to overfeed the tank but i have balloon red eye tetras and those guys are PIGS so i feel like i need to put enough food in for them to be distracted enough for the other fish in the tank to get some maybe im over thinking it idk...

I recently bought a live plant attached to a terra cotta urn- I too has cone shaped snails in my tank. I have not a bloom of them but see a shell every now and again! None have ever been moving though!

Austrent said:
I recently bought a live plant attached to a terra cotta urn- I too has cone shaped snails in my tank. I have not a bloom of them but see a shell every now and again! None have ever been moving though!

That may not be a pond snail at all cone shaped snails are generally not pond snails so you may have gotten lucky and got something better I know I have gotten some rams horns in on plants I also got a free nerite snail once on a plant.

It's strange coz I have never seen the snails/ shells move but they are always in other places- do u think it's then moving or could the fish be moving them?

I just discovered some snails, hitchhiked on plants or the driftwood I got from petco. What kind is this? should I eleminate them?

sorry for quality, took it with phone under low light

did not upload the pic the first time, try again. sorry for the low quality too low of light for my phone camera

edit: if you can't see it, they are kinda cone shaped?

Attachments

• snail.jpg
    snail.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 88
Actually the snail that I seen was cone shaped and yellow... I looked again today but didn't see any.. Im sure I'll be searching for snails now for the next week haha... I try not to over feed I usually skip a day or two during the week. I have tiger barbs and they usually eat everything before it touches the ground LOL.

Not sure what type of snail is in the picture above, sorry, I don't know much about snails lol.

Could be a mts or Malaysian trumpet snail. I had those but my yo yo loaches cleaned them up nice

ive found them in the tank from time to time but they dont get very large do to that all my fish snack on them so i let them be they get a free meal then become 1

And so it begins again for me lol. Was moving a few pants around and found a couple pond snails I'm getting a few assassin snails this week i got one in my grandmothers tank last week and its taken out quite a few of the Lil buggers in her tank. Have you seen anymore?

Back
Top Bottom