Just getting started need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, he is probably from a plant. Unless you like snail explosions, I would get rid of it - they multiply like crazy! And they don't need a mate to have babies!

AHHHHH! I don't want a snail explosion! 1 is 1 too many but I thought it wouldn't be a big deal if it was just him. I don't want to kill him.

I understand the hesitance on the killing part....

But! Unless you get some kind of fish (puffer, for example) or an assassin snail, they can get out of control rapidly.

I don't speak from personal experience - I have been lucky so far... but my Grandfather was always fighting with snails in his tank when I was a kid. And I have read alot here about what a pain they are.

Hopefully a "snail expert" will chime in to help you!!

I can't wait to get fish in this tank! I'm only on the first week of cycling though. Its going to be hard not to put fish in it. I can't wait for the day I can. Do I dare open up a can of worms and ask how long everyone thinks I should cycle before adding fish?

It looks pretty clear to me. Now I just need to decide what other decorations I want in the tank. I really want a large rock formation that also doubles as a cave. I've been looking on ebay but have not found anything that is my style.
ForumRunner_20130327_194020.jpg

ForumRunner_20130327_194042.jpg

Pristine water! What a beautiful thing!

I'll bite on that "can-of-worms"....

What have you done to fishless cycle it?

It looks pretty clear to me. Now I just need to decide what other decorations I want in the tank. I really want a large rock formation that also doubles as a cave. I've been looking on ebay but have not found anything that is my style.

Make one, keep in mind limetone will increase your ph

Pristine water! What a beautiful thing!

I'll bite on that "can-of-worms"....

What have you done to fishless cycle it?

Well, not much. I took the filter media out of my 40 gallon tank's AquaClear 110 and put it in my 125 gallon's AquaClear 110. Before I have fish in the tank I will make sure I have 2 AquaClear 110 filters running in there. I also took a small rock decoration and a cave from my 40 gallon and put them in my 125. I didn't add ammonia but my tap water has ammonia in it already.

Well, it got the best of me! This is now a fish in cycle! I only put 5 small fish in my big tank. They are all fish that would not bother me if they died. 1 of them is my upside down catfish. I really hope he does die!

I now have three pieces of driftwood in my 125g tank. I posted the pleco on Craigslist because I can't keep up with all his poop. I am NOT going to do a water change every two or three days so I can vacuum up his poop. That's crazy! I did buy a catfish. I don't know what kind of catfish but it cost me $35! It is spotted.

I posted the pleco on Craigslist because I can't keep up with all his poop. I am NOT going to do a water change every two or three days so I can vacuum up his poop. That's crazy!

:lol: Tooo funny! I agree, they are pigs!!!

I did buy a catfish. I don't know what kind of catfish but it cost me $35! It is spotted.

It better be a beautiful one for that price!!! :fish2:

I am sure if you post a pic here that someone can ID it for you. There are lots of knowledgeable peeps here!

I started to post last weekend and ask for an update, but got busy!! Glad to hear that things are coming along.

Oooooh he's beautiful! (y)

I hate to say it...:whistle: but I am not one of those that can ID a fish unless I have owned it....

Come on smart people!!! What kind of cat is this?

I love him! I am going to buy another one this weekend. They are expensive but I really like this fish!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom