Just got a snowflake eel.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tnmichx6

Aquarium Advice Regular
image-2538569873.jpg

Does anyone have any advice on the care of snowflake eels? We got one today to add to our 55 gallon tank.

Will snowflake eels bother my star fish that are hiding in the live rock? Do the shed their skin?

they might eat crustaceans and snails but starfish most likely not. snowflake eels do not shed their skin but if he gets out of the water they will shed their slime coat

He will kill and eat everything that will fit in his mouth, crabs, snalls and fish, as he gets bigger your fish WILL be a meal, sorry

They are strong and can knock a lid off if its not secure. How I lost mine years ago and I had a brick on the lid! He was about 24" long at the time .

Greg- this worries me as I am looking to rescue a 15" snowflake this weekend. What kind of tank was yours in? I've heard that acrylic tanks, with lips around the edges (with holes) make it more difficult for them to get out, as they go up the edges. What do you think? I'd like to get one, but not if I think it's gonna jump ship.

He can jump thru a hole you would bet he couldn't get thru. He can also jump and knock a unsecured top right off. Morays are all muscle. But they are interesting.

They will get out of the tiniest hole

So holes in relation to the size of the eel...I have not seen the one I might get, but 15" seems a decent size. Would it get through egg crate?

Sorry...not trying to hijack the thread, just figure this is good snowflake info (hopefully). I'm like 48 hrs behind and do not know much about eels. Ill be asking Toby puffer (blue spot probably) questions soon too... :)

Just a suggestion, call them morays, eels are something else and I don't like them much. Tend to be slimy when morays feel like fine leather. Morays have no scales. I use to hand feed them on dives. One of my most favorite sea creatures. ;-)

If they can fit their heads thru it, the rest can follow. Not trying to talk you out of one in any way, it's just common to loose them from jumping. Octopus are even worse.

Last edited:
Nice fish. They will jump and if you have carpet, it is really bad for their skin.

I have a canapy on my tank I had about a 1/2 inch hole in the back where my uv hangs on the back mine got out there luckily I was sitting next to my tank when he took the plunge he made it through it but I had to seal that little hole up...

Back
Top Bottom