Just set up this tank any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, for future reference, you should keep the old filter running along with the new one for a while until the new media is established, or place some of the old established media into the new filter. The filter is where most of your beneficial bacteria lives, so it's not a good idea to just remove it completely.

Again how long has this new tank been running? Do you test the water? Cycling the tank in short is the tank building its own biological filter that keeps the water clean. Its bacteria that converts the harmful fish waste chemicals to less and non harmful forms. During the process there are ammonia and nitrite/trate spikes that are harmful to the fish, cycling the tank before adding the fish keeps them from going through that shock. Since they're already in how long has the tank been running and when did you add them? Not to add to the chemical argument on going, but I find using Sea chem Prime as a water dechlorinator in early cycled tanks beneficial.

Edit: haha I was slow on typing this and missed a few developments.

OK since Saturday. Probably starting to see some spikes. Do some 30-50% water changes every few days or at least weekly. Many products will help speed the cycle or some media or water from a well established tank.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What I have been doing was using water conditioner and adding bacteria to the water by the directions on the bottle. Will that suffice?

The tank has been running since Saturday but I haven't tested the water. All the fish seem calm and George hasn't changed color..

Thanks so much I will remember to do that! I have had issues before with it after switching the water and Petsmart told me to use the bacteria and water conditioner..

So is there anything I should do to his water now?

Test it. (y)

It's already been a few days, and you did use the old gravel, so everything might be fine by now. There's only one way to find out. Do you have a test kit?

Nice Oscar BTW! I'm surprised he gets along with the cichlid.

Thanks! I have no clue what type he is he used to be black and purple and turned gold, a guy at a fish store said to try him and he was never eaten unlike the goldfish I stick in there sometimes.. He's about half of my Oscar's size now..

Don't have a testing kit but I can bring a sample to Petsmart if I see them acting different..

Just do a 30% wc every day for a week to be safe... You have a pretty good bio load in there with those fish.. Common Pleco's and oscars are epic poopers;)

I had one who wouldn't leave anything alone. He kinda gave me a rough intro to Oscars. He got ich at about 2 years old. Not much has the personality of Oscars. They really take up to their owners.

I would recommend a 30% water change as soon as possible, I doubt their is enough bacteria in there to keep up with the load he produces.

Will do! Wc with tap water? And yes my tiger for sure is a pooper! Sometimes my ciclid thinks it's food and eats it before it goes to the gravel lol lol

Use prime as a conditioner and overall "make nasty water more tolerable for now" product for your water changes...

I had one who wouldn't leave anything alone. He kinda gave me a rough intro to Oscars. He got ich at about 2 years old. Not much has the personality of Oscars. They really take up to their owners.

I would recommend a 30% water change as soon as possible, I doubt their is enough bacteria in there to keep up with the load he produces.

I really think he loves me lol he doesn't show off as much for everyone else! And he chases after the ciclid sometimes but not aggressively.. I think he does it when he's bored lol the only thing he does that pisses me off is always knock all his decorations and plants over lmao.. And will do the water change!

I have an aqua clear ammonia remover insert for the filter.. Should I use it?

Back
Top Bottom