Just starting a new 20g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sensitive to water conditions? Are they schooling fish?
No offense.. If you havnt gotten that far into the research phase than.... this is well documented info. Google
Edit- that may have been a bit harsh.. not schoolers and sensitive as heck..

Last edited:
Update on my tank. My ammonia is non existent no matter how much ammonia I dump in. The nitrite on the other hand is staying the same (very high). I did a 20 percent water change today but it doesnt change. Also my plants seem to be losing color.
1490855091602.jpg

Some melting and some mah need to tranisition to submerged growth. Things will move slow for a while especially in low tech. Seperate HG

Ive made the mistake of giving up on plants too soon many times. There not melting from water temp. Melting ....slang for transitioning to parameters and or submerged growth.

Whats your temp? Did you crank it up for cycle?

Cut dead off....when positive its dead. Mushy.

Ive made the mistake of giving up on plants too soon many times. There not melting from water temp. Melting ....slang for transitioning to parameters and or submerged growth.

Whats your temp? Did you crank it up for cycle?

Cut dead off....when positive its dead. Mushy.
Ahh I see. My temp is about 80 I believe. Yes, I cranked up the heat for the cycle.
Couple of things, I think they havent gotten enough light because I just recently installed the light.
My java moss has turned dark brown with almost no form. Also my ludwiga has lost its color, its kind of brown.
A lot of my plants get sucked into my filter haha.

1. Ask caliban07 but I don't mess with temp when I cycle. I could be wrong but I think he has some educational info on subject.
2. Well if they just now getting light...to be expected.
3. Dont give up on java moss can grow off ambient light. Can go from brown near death back to green. Usually starts slow

1. Ask caliban07 but I don't mess with temp when I cycle. I could be wrong but I think he has some educational info on subject.
2. Well if they just now getting light...to be expected.
3. Dont give up on java moss can grow off ambient light. Can go from brown near death back to green. Usually starts slow
Alright, I will keep trying with the java moss!

Am I feeding the tank too much ammonia? The nitrite and nitrate are very high no matter how much water changes I do, but the ammonia always drops. Should I continue water changes? Any advice would be greatly appreciated at this point, thank you.

Percent of wc should equate to the percent reduction in params as long as the source is not adding to the parameters.

Example 10g tank 1.0 ammonia
If I change 50 percent (5g) my ammonia should now be .5 as long as my source water is 0 ammonia.....make sense

Percent of wc should equate to the percent reduction in params as long as the source is not adding to the parameters.

Example 10g tank 1.0 ammonia
If I change 50 percent (5g) my ammonia should now be .5 as long as my source water is 0 ammonia.....make sense
Yeah it shouls cut in half or however much percent you change. The ammonia in my tank doesnt stay though, its the nitrite that stays the same.

Update. Good news, my nitrite dropped to nonexistent. Bad news, my ammonia is really high again. Should I do a water change? 1491124922473.jpg

Update. My ammonia is non existent. 0.00 and my nitrite is about 2 ppm. Any suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated

Back
Top Bottom