Just wondering...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kirschwasser37

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I found this stuff in my tank. I'm pretty sure the brown stuff is diatoms and the purple is coralline algae (although why is it on the sand?). However, I can't ID those stringy green things coming up out of the sand. Help?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 104
it appears to be some sort of macro algae. do you have a refugium attached to this tank? where did this sand bed come from, and how long has this tank been up? your "my tanks" tab says you just got a tank and it's cycling. it looks like pieces of chaetomorpha to me.

I got the sand bed with the tank, and yes, I have a refugium. I'm pretty sure it's done cycling from my water readings, but that stuff has been there all along.

i think those are broken pieces of chaetomorpha. that's the only thing i have seen that looks like that. pull a piece out. does it have root-like appendages for anchoring, or is it just a long green string?

Ok, they're just strings, so chaeto? And if so, what should I do with it? Also, with the cyano, if it's bad, how do I get rid of it? I've got some snails coming in this week, will they clean it up? (Ceriths and zig zag periwinkle snails)

i would take that chaeto out of the DT and put it in the refugium, or get something that eats it.
snails don't eat cyanobacteria. it's a nutrient issue. do some water changes vacuuming it out with each change.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom