juwel trigon 350

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamestheace

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi guys,

i have recently upgraded from a juwel rio 180 to a juwel trigon 350. In the rio i removed the internal filter and used a interpet epf 350 external filter, i was wondered if i should use the same filter again for the new tank, or if the juwel filter in it will be ok?

Not familiar with the filter. What's its flow rate? Ideally you want to turn the tank volume over at least 5 or 6 times an hour. If its powerful enough I'd use your external filter as it would remove the need to cycle the new filter, provided its been running continuously up to the switchover.

Just use both, the Juwel has cut outs already in place for the external and I always find the Juwel filters slightly underpowered for tank size in some models. I run two filters on my Rio 240, the Juwel Biopower that's built in and the external Eheim Ecco 300, its also handy as you can add media to the Juwel filter really easily - I change my filter floss every 3-4 days, takes seconds in the Juwel - not so quick in the Eheim, which I replace every month. You also have the option of adding an inline heater or UV to an external, best of both worlds with the internal and external in play.
The biggest advantage with the old filter running on the new tank is that if you change it other to the new tank, with the old water inside to preserve the bacteria during the process the new tank will cycle super quick and if you don't go crazy and add loads of fish straight away you probably won't even notice any rise in harmful levels.

Last edited:
cheers guys, i was thinking of using both, just werent sure if that would be overkill? i have managed to cycle the tank in a couple of days. Put the water in on thursday, this was a combination of mainly new fresh water, added maybe 30 litres from my existing tank, and adding all the ornaments from my old tank which were covered in bacteria. Checked nitrate levels friday night and they were fine, added the fish, then saturday morning the tank went cloudy, been constantly checking the nitrate levels and today the nitrates are down and the water is crystal clear, happy days!

Back
Top Bottom