Kalk Q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefbabe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been strictly dosing kalk only. I've heard that there may possibly be left over hydroxide ions. Is there any buffers and/or additives I can use to help "pair" these off? Also, has anyone tried using SeaLab No28 (someone suggested it)?

I have heard and used to great success, drum roll please, White vinegar wiht my Kalk. The vinegar gives the kalk all the ions it needs to fully take advantage and not leave extra hydroxide ions. Some say it is good, some say it is bad, but there are some posts out there that explain the chemistry behind it and how it really works.

I have heard the good and bads of vinegar as well. I was using it for awhile (2Tbs per G) and I think I was using too much because I started to get algae blooms (not terribley bad but enough to be annoying). What dose would you reccomend I start with....

I have been dripping kalk mixed with white distilled vinegar as described here
http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/kalkwasser.html
For the past 4 days or so.

Results so far according to Red sea testers

Alk has risen and from low to normal
Calcium has risen from 360 to 400
PH has risen from 8.2 to 8.4
All pretty much within 48 hours after beginning to drip the kalk and seem to have leveled off.

I have been dripping enough to replace most if not all of my evaporation loss. My test for newly mixed change water when compared to my tank water since starting this process are nearly identical. Before my test for calcium and alk from the tank water where always lower than newly mixed change water.

IMO its a slam dunk. But then again thats what they told Presient Bush about the weapons of mass destruction and look where it got him.

Back
Top Bottom