Kamaka Rainbow with white eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ejaramillo01

Aquarium Advice Addict
I Have 5 Kamaka Rainbows, my tank (100 G) has been established since April, water parameters have been good, pH 7.4 , Ammonia and Nitrites 0 ppm, Nitrates between 5 to 20 ppm, I do weekly water changes Approximately 30% every week. Temperature is at 78 degrees.
My Rainbows have black eyes, then like a week ago I noticed one with his eyes a little bit white, but not mushy or film, just like a "white pearl" perfectly rounded... Then three days later the other eye started to show the same.... Today both eyes look like little solid white pearls...

The Rainbow swims normally, but I know that can not see properly, is struggling to find food.... The strange part is that the eyes are not bloated, I have seen before cloudy eyes issues, the one that looks like mushy or fungus, this looks different....

Any ideas in how to treat or help him? I saw this morning that a second Rainbow started to develop the same problem.....

Help please.

Hm, can you get a pic? Do you know how old the fish is? Also do you vacuum the substrate regularly and what do you feed them?

librarygirl said:
Hm, can you get a pic? Do you know how old the fish is? Also do you vacuum the substrate regularly and what do you feed them?

The fish are like 1 year old, I vacuum the sand every week, and I feed them with NLS pellets daily, once a week I gave them Hikary blood worms...
I moved them both to a QT tank (10G), now I need to know what exactly do I need to treat them against ???
I will try a picture.

I went to my lfs, they suggested to treat them with Maracyn from Mardel.. So I started to treat the rainbows in the 10G quarantine tank... I will follow the directions from the box.

.?

Day Four

Day four of treatment... I'm a little concern, the eyes looked better but not right, still cloudy..
The ammonia jumped to 0.25 ppm in the quarentine tank, which I don't like, I will need to make a PWC tonight.

Any other ideas of the Maracyn....:confused:

Finished the treatment today.... 5 dosis of Marcyn....
I still see the Rainbows with white spots in their eyes... better versus when I started the process, but not normal eyes yet....

Any suggestions here? They are in a 10G QT tank now....

Do I transfer them back to the big tank?

Do I start a new treatment?

Any idea will be appreciated:oops:

If they did visibly respond to the Maracyn treatment, you may want to consider Maracyn-2/plus or Tetracycline. I am by no means an expert on treating fish diseases or medications though. We take an uber clean water first approach to most anything. If they were my fish in QT, I'd do daily 75% changes for a week and see what happened. Sorry I can't be of more help.

HN1 said:
If they did visibly respond to the Maracyn treatment, you may want to consider Maracyn-2/plus or Tetracycline. I am by no means an expert on treating fish diseases or medications though. We take an uber clean water first approach to most anything. If they were my fish in QT, I'd do daily 75% changes for a week and see what happened. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks Len, I'm doing the daily PWC, let's see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom