Keep finding snails upside down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nsu7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought 2 turbo and 2 margarita snails. I keep finding the 3 biggest ones upside down on my (large grained) crushed coral. I right them and they go about their business. Will they right themselves on their own in enough time? I heard they can drown this way and they don't seem to right themselves, or even try...

Do these snails not go with large grained crushed coral like you see in the picture? It's almost like they get some of the crushed coral stuck on them as they're moving along over it and roll over and give up...

Attachments

• picture_072_142.jpg
    picture_072_142.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 461
I had a handful of turbos in my FOWLR. They kept doing the same thing. I decided it was not worth it to worry about it and got rid of them. I hear all kinds of stories of one of these guys dying and nuking an entire tank. I love my fish to much for that. Astreas are better in this area in my opinion. I have some in my Nano Reef

My turbos do it all the time! I have a wooden dowel rod that I use to flip them back over. If I stuck my hands in everytime a snail flipped over, my arm would become encrusted with coraline algae! 8O

Had the same problem too. Got rid of them too. As someone else mentionned here, I believe, it makes you wonder how they manage to survive in the wild. 8O

8)

Mexican turbos are one of the snails that can right themselfs after being knocked over. Not sure why yours are not??
The Astreas can not right themselves... I have a bunch of the astreas and have to flip them all the time. My turbos flip over by themselves. Never seen my margarita snails on there backs unless they were dead in the tank. I have had many snails die in my 125 and 55 and nothing ever happened to the tanks.
Snail Flippin' is just part of the hobby

My margaritas (3) did the same thing. My opinion is that they get a little retarded if acclimated too quickly or the water parameters between the ocean - pet store - your tank maybe just too great...

I think you nailed it b/c they're fine now and I don't think I acclimated them well enough... I just bought some more and acclimated them more thoroughly and they did better from the get go.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom