Kenyi looking a little funny :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronnieroach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well friends, it's that time. Your old pal Ron Diggity needs to pick your brains again lol

I recently posted about my Johanni & found out she was pregnant. Now, after a pretty decent tank feeding, I'm noticing my female Kenyi looking minutely similar. But, of course, I didn't notice if she ate or not because I was focusing on my little guys.

She kinda has the fry 'chin lump' but I'm nowhere near knowledgable enough yet to make that call.

I can say that the Kenyi's 'chin lump' has a grey-ish / brown-ish discoloration like my pregnant Johanni, when I look at her head on.

Here's some pictures I took. I think it's the best I can do but if we need better I'll obviously try :) If she is preggers, it's definitely a recent transaction LOL

Tell me what ya think!! Thanks homies!!

Attachments

• image-4276003644.jpg
    image-4276003644.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 99
  • image-3412468978.jpg
    image-3412468978.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 97
  • image-702569142.jpg
    image-702569142.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 98
WOW!! 2 at once!! You'd think I play Marvin Gaye all day or something haha

I do have one definite male Kenyi & one hybrid of some kind, but I'm still unsure of its sex. However, because of my preggo Kenyi's size & age I would assume one of my non-Kenyi is the poppa.

My guess is the Kenyi will pop out hybrids along w/ my Johanni (esp. since I have only one Johanni) At the least, it should be a fun thing to watch ;)

Thanks for the help

Yw :) You never know, you could very possibly have some Kenyi fry (not hybrids). But anyways, very cool! I'll be waiting for pics :) And just wait, I've got 5 holding right now, its never ending it seems...ha!

Thanks for letting me know guys. It seems like she blew up over night because today its beyond obvious.

When should I put her in the breeder net??

I was told I put my Johanni in pre-mature but she just spit about 15+ fry & I only netted her a little over a week ago (Jan. 13th).

I bought a 2nd breeder net today so I'm ready, I just don't wanna be too cautions. She's hiding in a shrub or in the rocks a lot but also still swimming around.

I have a total of 20 affy's in my 55gal with a majority of them at or under 3inches.

I know I'm overstocked but it helped w/ my aggression (& apparently my baby makin') so I'm leaving it for now ;)

Any & all advice is appreciated!! Thanks friends :D

I got antsy AGAIN & she's now in the breeder net. Her & my Venustus kept getting snooty with each other making me a little worried, as per usual lol

Hopefully I have success again!! Time will tell ..

ronnieroach said:
well my plan was to sell them but i might just give them away to friends instead .. all depends on what the LFS offers me

Didn't you say the pop was a different breed?You shouldn't really sell them to the lfs if they are hybrids.

Didn't you say the pop was a different breed?You shouldn't really sell them to the lfs if they are hybrids.

I agree... hybrids (cross breeding) is what causes the species to lose color luster and making it very difficult in ID of species... cichlids were much brighter and bolder in color 25 years ago and eisier to sex. Get another tank...lol:)
Good luck with the fry papa...lol

Back
Top Bottom