Kenyi Male/Female

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fibreheart

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so. I purchased 4 Kenyi. 1 yellow male and 3 females. He was the biggest male in the tank so I took him because he seemed to be a winner for dominance. I took the largest female because she seemed to be the winner for alpha female. When I got them home upon closer inspections, 2 of my females(including Miss Alpha) seems to have yellow tips on their fins. So my question is Do I have 3 males or can females display yellow too. I should say my Miss alpaha is a really light blue, almost white with blue/black Kenyi bars and black bars through the eyes. The second female is a little darker then her with the same black bars through her eyes but the one female that is a dark blue with no yellow at all doesn't have the bars. Now the Male and the Alpha Female are about 2.5 inches and the second female is about 1.75 inches and the forth is about 1.5 inches.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As a side note: I know they are aggressive :)

I wouldn't hold my breath on the smaller two. The dominant male will be nice and bright. Any sub dominant males will stay a lot lighter. My sub dominant male didn't show his colors until he was about 2.5". I went the whole time thinking he was a she. The only real way to know is venting, which is something I've yet to be successful at.

My Dominant male is kind of a mustard yellow with almost black/brown bars. Are you saying he could actually be a she? My largest "Female" is very dominant and I think is trying to dethrone him so to speak. I was hoping they would breed :( But the yellow wasn't in the LFS. "She" got to my home and now has yellow tipped fins. I think I was duped. It's funny too because the LFS girl was all like " I want to get you some that aren't going to turn yellow on you. LOL

No, if it's yellow it's a male. As far as the yellow tips, that's how my sub dominant male started. It happens though. That's one of the joys of keeping mbuna.

Ok, trying not to sound noobish, so what I more then likely have is 3 males and 1 female(although we can't count her out even though she has no yellow on her) But the other two females with the yellow tips are 99% sure male. Is it safe to say that definite females will never get yellow on them? Or is that up in the air too?

Back
Top Bottom