Kevin's 36 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably just needs time. On a good note out hasn't gone up any lol. I got 7 gallons of saltwater mixing right now

I'm going to Lowes in a few minutes to see what kind of trash cans they have. I'm going to try to find a round one at least 15 gallons

Just finished cleaning up the office aquarium. Stopped by AC and talked to the owner. Having an issue with my brain coral. No $ to buy anything though. Lots of nice frags! Lol, aquariumaholic!

apet66 said:
Man that nitrate just won't go away will it. That purigen should be taking care of that.

Sadly, that's not how it works. Purigen won't have any effect on nitrates that are already in the water. It helps remove organics before they get broken down into nitrate. It'll be a big help with the new live rock but it won't help at all with the 20ppm nitrate already in the water.

I'd do up to three PWCs a week, if possible, until the nitrates are below 5ppm (shouldn't take many). After that, the levels will hopefully stay lower and more stable. I know that sucks to do but it's worth it considering how much those beautiful corals will appreciate it! I think the added live rock could make a noticeable impact, especially because it looks like real ocean rock. Those internal pores make all the difference. ^_^

Yeah I know it won't remove what's there. I'm happy its staying at 20. That probably will mean when I get it lower it will stay there... I hope at least. I just setup a salt mixing setup so I can do as much water changes as I want lol

Ok here is my water mixing barrel. It is a 32 gallon brute heavy duty outdoor trash can $30 at Lowes
And a tetra 200 watt heater $25 at Walmart.
And a old g500 needle wheel pump

Only issue is the heater will not stay using the suction cups provided
any ideas?

Also the trash can is in a non climate controlled bedroom. It is out spare room and we keep the door closed and the vent blocked off to save on utilities

it has a lid not pictured and I currently have 27 gallons mixing in it

I love the new salt mixing bucket. now I just have to figure out the best way to fill buckets of saltwater to put in my tank. Going to use a 5/16 hose I bought and siphon from the trash can to the bucket for now

Omg I just done a 12 gallon water change... I love it. The biggest one I was able to do before is 4 gallons... I'm gonna get you nitrates.... I'm wondering if I should run the barrel dry before mixing more or if I should just add more water and salt and keep it full... I filled it back up this time though

Ok my parameters
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Ph 8.0
Temp 78.6
Salt 1.025
Kh 10
Calcium 380
Phosphates 0.25

I added reef code a... Again wow I'm having trouble keeping it up

Nitrate is at 10 I guess I may do another big water change over the weekend sometime

Not sure why my phosphates went from 0 to 0.25

HAPPY BIRTHDAY my friend!!! That's great news, I know you're ready to get back to work.

Everything is going great... I got my old job back on my birthday lol... Wasnt expecting them to come to me begging... That means I'm going to be away from the house at least 15 hours a day.... so keeping the aquariums up is going to be hard but not impossible... For now I'm working 7 days a week so my wife will have too pitch in

Everything is going great... I got my old job back on my birthday lol... Wasnt expecting them to come to me begging... That means I'm going to be away from the house at least 15 hours a day.... so keeping the aquariums up is going to be hard but not impossible... For now I'm working 7 days a week so my wife will have too pitch in

Awesome! Glad things are well on both ends!! (y):dance:

Thank you... I'm going to change my timers on my tank so I can enjoy them longer at night. And I'm not going to be able to cycle the blue and then the white. They going to have to cut on and off at the same time

Back
Top Bottom