Kh nonexistant and Ph super low?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Druinz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So Ive got three tanks going, a 3 gal, 10 gal, and 30 gal. ALL of them seem to have nonexistant Kh and Ph below 6, even with consistent water changes.

Whats even more confusing is that my taps Ph is around 8.2 with a normal Kh.

First I considered it to be my substrate, but Ive got different substrates in each.

I did some further research and added much more water flow into my tanks but that hasn't improved the situation.

Is there a solution to this that is a permanent solution? (not dosing baking soda, etc)?

Have you tried to just add crushed coral in a bag to the filter?
Is your source water a well or municipal?
I would take a sample of your source and test it and then let it sit and adjust[out gas] for 24 hours and test again.
The second reading is your real water. the first is just how it arrives to from supply.
Do you have wood or other stuff in tank that can absorb?
Do you use any chemicals /resins in your filter?

My source is municipal. Ive got some driftwood in there but I've had it established in other tanks so Im not sure if it'd still absorb ph? I dont use any other chemicals in my tanks aside from dechlorinator.

Also, Ill start the water test with water out like you suggested.

Sounds like there is a lot of O2 in the water from your supplier and as it out gasses the pH goes down much like when you add co2 to water.As the O2 out gasses and is replaced with CO2 until at balance with our air...
The KH should not change regardless.
My kH is 1-2 from my supplier.

So a bag of crushed coral should help with the Kh and in turn bring up the Ph? And would it continually need to be changed out or would it stay and have the same effect over time?

Update: I can get crushed coral and apply it with no problem starting today. However, I'd rather get to the cause of what is just completely deleting my Kh.
I tested some treated tap water that I hadn't put in my tank that was left out since yesterday and the tap readings were good, ~7.5 Ph, ~2.5 Kh.
So what is it that could be destroying the Kh levels in my tanks?

So a bag of crushed coral should help with the Kh and in turn bring up the Ph? And would it continually need to be changed out or would it stay and have the same effect over time?

I have no idea as to underlying cause. However upon advice of my privately owned fish store that I trust, years ago I started keeping a bag of crushed coral in the filter of my tanks. It has raised the KH in the tank a little which has stabilized the pH at around 7.5. I change out the coral every 6 months. Works like a charm for me.

Back
Top Bottom