Khuligirl's 20 long nano reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never bought from Marco rock so I can't say anything about that. Keep us updated though!

I will:)
Anyone have an opinion on the refugium plant? I still have it in the plastic bag not knowing if I should add it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Of you wanna order live rock gulfliverock.com is where I got mine. I think they have a nano package 17 pounds shipped for around 80 bucks. My lfs wanted 8 bucks a pound.

EBay has nice rock sometimes that's guaranteed to not leech phosphates. Also, bulk reef supplies reef saver rock is good for aquascaping. You can request size of rocks too.

Thanks:) but I think I'm going to go with dry rock and let it become live over time. And I really want to pick it out in person and be able to see it and touch it, and this way I don't have to pay shopping:) apparently the place I was told about has it for $2/lb.

I was lucky enough to find live fiji rock for 4.95 a pound at one of my LFS. everywhere else was 10 dollars a pound.

Sent from my C6730 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok I got the Marco rock today! It was actually live, not dry, and the guy gave it to me for 3$/lb :) I got about 12 lbs of it.. But after putting it in the tank I realized it's not as much as I thought and I probably should've gotten a couple more pieces. But it's still progress:) I might go pick up some more next weekend.
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...D-27FF-4860-B630-C7D2AE5C0EF1_zpsmxfubhui.jpg
It's very porous with lots of nooks and crannies and very easy to stack:) I love it. Next step is a black background and light.

Ok thanks for the suggestion, I'll play around with it :)
I added some frozen brine shrimp to the tank to get the cycle started, should that work the same as a table shrimp? My family doesn't eat shrimp so I'd feel stupid just buying one haha.

Ok I got the Marco rock today! It was actually live, not dry, and the guy gave it to me for 3$/lb :) I got about 12 lbs of it.. But after putting it in the tank I realized it's not as much as I thought and I probably should've gotten a couple more pieces. But it's still progress:) I might go pick up some more next weekend.
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...D-27FF-4860-B630-C7D2AE5C0EF1_zpsmxfubhui.jpg
It's very porous with lots of nooks and crannies and very easy to stack:) I love it. Next step is a black background and light.

Looking good!

Ok thanks for the suggestion, I'll play around with it :)
I added some frozen brine shrimp to the tank to get the cycle started, should that work the same as a table shrimp? My family doesn't eat shrimp so I'd feel stupid just buying one haha.

Not really going to be the same thing. I suggest just going and buying a single shrimp.

Oh ok. Is it just not the same volume of flesh to decay?

You'd have to add quite a bit of frozen food to get your ammonia up to 4ppm. The frozen shrimp is the easiest method and it worked good for me in the past.

Ah I see. I'll do that ASAP then :)
I have the ceramic ring bag part of the AC media sitting in the sump of a healthy established tank at work, so I'll add that tomorrow to help jump start the cycle even more:)

Ok I've got the shrimp in:)

Back
Top Bottom