Khuligirl's 20 long nano reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha! Me too! I've taken joy in watching my baby bristleworms, sand sifting stars, and nessarius snail hitch hikers..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

At least u got cool hitchhikers. Mine was full of Majanos.. I haven't seen a worm since the cycle. I do have one clam that still moves occasionally. Even though it's so encrusted you'd have to see it snap closed to know it's there.

Oh no! Well you had pretty high ammonia for your cycle didn't you? You must have a hefty colony of bacteria ;) Mine hasn't gotten past .5ppm yet.
My rock wasn't very "alive" to begin with though, it had been dry rock just weeks prior, so I guess the only hitch hikers I got were mobile ones.
I think I'm going to stick it out and wait for the second shrimp to decompose as opposed to buying liquid ammonia. I don't want to buy a huge container to just use a couple drops. My mom isn't too keen on having it around the house because it's a health hazard.

I bought either a gallon or half gallon and only used 20-30 mL for my last cycle. It is sitting in the garage. I suppose I can use it for a cleanser. It was only $1.89 at the grocery store.
Congrats on the cycle! I'm sure there's a Hallmark card for such an occasion. If not, the there should be.

Haha thanks Fresh, we need someone in the hobby to work at hallmark to make us one. I'm sure there's someone witty out there to think of something creative
I'm seeing some little guys that look like teeny baby nerites, they reproduce in saltwater right? Hoping my parameters level out again in a couple days so I can do a water change and get my first fish this weekend :)

Look what came todayyyy!
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...0-A5F1-4C2E-8C7E-18E9A87393B9_zpskzn3llf7.jpg
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...8-8C3D-4F69-8C32-4B614490B318_zpspbhqxcqv.jpg
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...0-B057-4E7F-BC00-489C27FC7B64_zps6b0adqnc.jpg
It is so much heavier, bigger and brighter than I thought it would be. I thought it would be about half the size that it is. And I have both colors and actinics on about 30% and it could probably light up the whole room if it was dark. Since it weighs so much more than I thought it would, I'm not sure how I'm going to hang it. I had to get 2 boards to lay across the tank to set it on, because it slightly bent the glass down when I set it on the top.
Also I got a little "coraline starter" rock from work :)

Nice...I sit mine on boards for the first couple weeks. Once u get it raised it will light the room.

And it'll light the whole tank then too! Right now it only lights the right side of the tank underneath where it sits. I can't put it in the middle because the filter is blocking the spot where the left board would sit across.

My panels make my room glow from the outside of the house. It looks like there's some sort of alien operation going on :p

Mine are bright enough for the neighbors to complain...

I'd suggest using plant hangers.. I use the and they work great. If you don't have a beam to screw them into, be sure to use anchora

How do you hold down the plant hangers on the floor?
This thing probably weighs 15 lbs.

Haha maybe I'm just weak and overestimated the weight because I was expecting them to be so much lighter.
Ok I'll look into some of those ideas and see if my dad can help me rig something up! Thanks guys as always for the great advice

Anyone know what this is?
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...D-0FAA-441C-B3E6-8378456CA968_zps4extvpq6.jpg
It has 2 long hairs coming out of it that sway in the current.

Oh no I think I see teeny tiny aptasia and bubble algae on the new rock I got.. What can I do to get rid of them but not hurt the coraline?
Freshwater dip??

Best thing to do would be to inject the aiptasia with Joe's Juice or a kalkwasser/lemon juice mixture.

The bubble algae can be removed by hand or with tweezers but don't pop it or it'll release spores.

Back
Top Bottom