Killifish in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaredMiklosovic

Aquarium Advice Regular
Could I put some killifish in my 35 gallon tank? It only has a small school of white skirts and a kuhli loach. And if so, how many?

the most beautiful killifish i have seen thus far belong in the northo family. they've got the brightest/flashiest color, very comparable to the saltwater fish. but the only catch is that they're seasonal, meaning they die within 12-18months. there's a lot to choose from, but whenever i think about killifish, the bluefin northo killifish always come into my mind.

you can keep just about every type out there because they're not that aggressive. they do, however, compete for food. so if you do decide to add some killies, make sure there's enough for everyone.

no. they're not. for instance, golden wonders are not seasonal. but if you want the popping color, most of the time they are seasonal.

clown killifish, for instance is not seasonal. the scientific name is Aplocheilus annulatus. Gardneri Panchax Killifish is also not seasonal.

but in terms of color, they are not even on par with guentheri Killifis, which is seasonal.

but the good thing about killifish is that they're ready to breed as soon as they mature and their eggs can stay dry for months and months

you can get a school of them if you want to. i can see you have 5 easily in the tank. the most difficult part of keeping killies is getting them. even if you decided you want the seasonal ones, it's rather hard to get adults. most people sell the killie eggs not the actual fish. i've only seen golden wonders available

you can get a school of them if you want to. i can see you have 5 easily in the tank. the most difficult part of keeping killies is getting them. even if you decided you want the seasonal ones, it's rather hard to get adults. most people sell the killie eggs not the actual fish. i've only seen golden wonders available

Okay thanks for all your help, I'll let you know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom