KNO3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talon242

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been adding this for awhile now and I'm still not getting any registration in my test kit. I use a Red Sea Nitrate kit. My mixture I have been using is 120mL of water and 2 tbs of KNO3. According to Chuck's calculator I should be adding .91ppm per mL added to my 50 gallon tank and I'm up to about 8mL a day and still no reading.

Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia = 0ppm
PO4 = 1ppm

I'm really confused. Maybe I need a better sealed container, I have been using one of those bottles that the stress coat comes in. Should this mixture be refridgerated. I dont know whats going on. :?

Been there before.

Look at the bottom of your #2 bottle to see if you have black stuff

I was registering notthing while I was at a staggering 80 ppm

I have a heavily planted aquarium and it can easily suck up 5 to 10 ppm nitrate in a day. Check a few drops of your solution in a glass of water and see if you can get a reading on your test kit. Your plants and algae might just be using it up especially if you have excess phosphate.

Scuba_dude said:
Been there before.

Look at the bottom of your #2 bottle to see if you have black stuff

I was registering notthing while I was at a staggering 80 ppm

I don't know what bottle #2 is but the one labeled A has black crap on the bottom im going to get a new test tomorrow.

Edit: If I let my lfs test my water is brining it in a plastic bag okay?

I have switched to "Aquarium Pharmaceuticals" since then no problem.

Please let me know what was your nitrate level with the new test

I just went through the bad test kit , same as you. All this time I thought I was doing such a great job that I always had 0 nitrates. I added the same solution to my newly planted tank with no reading. I then contacted my water department and found out my water has 40 ppm out of the fawcet. I am going to return the test kit to Red Sea. It has no expiration date.

redsea isn't a great nitrate test kit. Aquarium Pharm. is reasonable. Next best is SeaChem. Then you're into the $60 LaMotte or Hach kits.

Oh boy, I hate faulty test kits :evil: I had the exact same problem and managed to dose my tank up to around 80 ppm NO3 too before I realized what was going on. Unfortunately this happened right at the same time I first started CO2 supplementation so I assumed that the CO2 was driving nitrate uptake like mad and didn't think to question the veracity of my test results. I now use only LaMotte kits for testing nitrates and phosphates. I like the comfort of knowing exactly where my levels are. They might be more expensive, but I feel that it is totally worth the peace of mind they give me.

I took a water sample to my lfs and they said everything was good but I'm ordering a SeaChem nitrate test when I get off of work tonight.

Back
Top Bottom