koi angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenniferhynes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What is recommended to feed koi angelfish to keep/enhance their orange coloring? I have some Tetra brand Color plus flakes, what else can I /should I feed them that is high in carotene?

Along with flakes, I feed my angels New Life Spectrum Thera + A which not only do they go crazy for, it is specialized to enhance their coloring. Along with flakes, and pellets (NLS), I feed them some guppy fry when I have an abundance of them :)

I was recommended to use some Frozen Spirulina Brine Shrimp when i bought some white and black marbled angels. They were juvies at the time. I'm not quite sure if the food was directly responsible or by how much, but these angels developed some intense color soon after i started feeding them the spirulina. I swear there's so much color in them now, they look like koi.

I was recommended to use some Frozen Spirulina Brine Shrimp when i bought some white and black marbled angels. They were juvies at the time. I'm not quite sure if the food was directly responsible or by how much, but these angels developed some intense color soon after i started feeding them the spirulina. I swear there's so much color in them now, they look like koi.
Agreed. Spirulina is as well an amazing color enhancer. Too bad some very reputable food companies don't use them:(
I have only seen a few with it, and sometimes it's an exclusives type of food.

Thanks guys, I'll give those a try. Just picked up four small koi yesterday, drove to Lansing to a cool LFS that breeds their own angelfish. They are a little pale in color now but adjusting well so far, very excited to finally have them. I have a trio of swordtails as well, hoping they might provide some fry for them

Thanks guys, I'll give those a try. Just picked up four small koi yesterday, drove to Lansing to a cool LFS that breeds their own angelfish. They are a little pale in color now but adjusting well so far, very excited to finally have them. I have a trio of swordtails as well, hoping they might provide some fry for them
That's really cool!
We don't have much breeders where I live, harder to find good ones.
Good luck with you're fish:)

with koi clean water and proper ph levels help a lot. color in-hancing foods are great. shrimp is good also. i have been breeding them for a while and i found that regular flake food and properly added snacks are the best but the most important is the water, no stress environment-most fish color is lot brighter when in proper care.

Back
Top Bottom