Koi eats neon's ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Perezm03

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys so I have a koi in a 10g ( in the mean while as I am working on my pound in the back yard)
And I have a school of neon and sometimes I put my fiddler crab in as well and two nights ago I forgot to take the crab out and I go
To feed the fish and one is missing.
(No way it fits in the filter )
So I think maybe the crab had a late night snack so last night I take him out and boom this morning another neon is missing with out a trace and the koi (2.5") is the biggest fish so I think he ate the neon.
So has anyone had this problem like this before ?

I am sorry but you absolutely can not keep a koi in a 10g. Spring is still months away and it sounds like you have yet to even start the process of building a koi suitable pond (500++gallons). Please return or rehome the koi ASAP.

The fiddler crab requires a brackish environment. You may want to consider returning him as well if you are not prepared to setup his own tank and have the equipment necessary to prepare & test brackish water.

Do you know what the nitrogen cycle is? Do you have a good liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & oh?

The koi pond is almost done and the crab was my friends and was put there by him the night the neon started missing

The koi pond is almost done and the crab was my friends and was put there by him the night the neon started missing

I'm not sure your koi is big enough to have eaten your neon. Plus, that would be unusual koi behavior, based on my very small amount of research. My friend and I both have had several experiences with neons disappearing and only "big" fish I have in comparison to the neons are a pearl gourami and some Cory cats, so it doesn't make sense. Do you think the neon could have been sucked up by the filter?

I'm not sure your koi is big enough to have eaten your neon. Plus, that would be unusual koi behavior, based on my very small amount of research. My friend and I both have had several experiences with neons disappearing and only "big" fish I have in comparison to the neons are a pearl gourami and some Cory cats, so it doesn't make sense. Do you think the neon could have been sucked up by the filter?

Edit:
Whoops. Just realized what you said about the filter. Idk. Neons like to disappear I guess! I do have a lot of bottom feeders (shrimp, dwarf cray, and snails) that would happily eat a dead neon, though.

If a koi or goldfish can fit something in their mouthes, they will try to eat it. This includes other fish, snails, rocks, shrimp, their own eggs/fry, etcetc. They are nondiscriminatory omnivores.

If a koi or goldfish can fit something in their mouthes, they will try to eat it. This includes other fish, snails, rocks, shrimp, their own eggs/fry, etcetc. They are nondiscriminatory omnivores.

Interesting that that was the OPs question and you jumped on them for their stocking choices*instead of saying that. Just a thought.

Interesting that that was the OPs question and you jumped on them for their stocking suggestions instead of saying that. Just a thought.

Sorry, but any size koi doesnt deserve to be a 10g especially mixed with tropicals & brackish water creatures. Koi dont belong in home aquaria unless you have indoor pond or a monstrous tank.

Sorry, but any size koi doesnt deserve to be a 10g especially mixed with tropicals & brackish water creatures. Koi dont belong in home aquaria unless you have indoor pond or a monstrous tank.

I agree. However, Perez said at the very beginning of the post that there was a pond in progress. I was simply pointing out that you weren't helping anyone by telling someone to "please rehome their fish" when they're obviously trying to learn and do the best for their fish. Especially when it was a simple yes or no question.

IMO.

Back
Top Bottom