Krib female pale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiffi

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Krib pair had fry a little while ago. They both didn't show much agression toward the tankmates and the fry starts wandering off by now.

Nevertheless, my male is hunting the female now and she is quite pale. Is that normal that they show agression toward each other after raising their fry?

they are agressive towards each other or the tank mates? Mine had fry about a week or so ago and they are chasing the tank mates away, but are perfectly fine towards each other.

My female is still quite colorful, but when stressed, kribs can lose their color.

Krib female looses color

I see the same thing.

My Kribs have bred 4 times. Before the breeding, I have seen the female very beat up, with frayed fins. I waas sure she would die once.

But, they are still alive. It seems like a cycle.

I removed my male krib after the fry were about 3 weeks old. At that time, he started harassing the female quite badly and since they are in a 10 gal tank, she could not get away. I suspect he was ready to breed again. (also I didn't want to raise a "krib fish farm" - 1 batch of fry is enough!). As long as your tank is big enough and the female has a hiding spot, she should be fine but keep an eye on things.

If the male wants to spawn and the female is not ready, she is in mortal danger. I would remove her to a safe tank if you can.

I don't have another tank, but my tank is quite big (70gal) with LOTS of plants (see pictures). He is just hunting her for a short distance and right now he is busy most times threatening the baby Kribs anyway, and making a headstand in front of them :lol: . The babies also started to threaten each other. The biggest is about 3/4" now.

Hello All,

I also have the same problem, the male recently started chasing female and hence always hiding in hollow decoration with fry. But 2-3 days back they would wander around the tank with the fry.

I have my Krib pair and fry in seperate 10 gallon tank, and i will also moving the male krib out of 10 gallon and into 30 gallon.

Thanks..

If it's only a 10gal I would move the male too. But by now he's too busy with keeping the fry out of his territory to really chase any other fishes anymore.

My krib pair had 4 batches of fry before the male killed the female. You really need to remove her before it's too late.

IMO, there could be 2 reasons why he wants to kill her. Either he wants to mate and she's not ready or...

She might have done something around the fry that might have appeared to him she was hurting them and he feels she is a threat to them.

My male was very protective over the 4th batch. He ended up raising them by himself after he killed her off.

Back
Top Bottom