Kribensis and the Bichir

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kribensis

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 125 gallon aquarium with 6 kribensis, and a new baby dinosaur Bichir I got from Petsmart. I have other fish in the tank but my main concern are the kribensis. The baby Bichir is no longer then our full frown Kribensis's .

Will they live together in harmony?

When I was younger I had a Ornate Bichir my brother gave me and in that tank I had 5 tiger barbs that I was told would leave other fish alone if there was a school of them. So I bought 5 tiger barbs. Well when my brother gave me his Ornate Bichir I fell in love with that odd fish. But all that first day. NONE of the tiger barbs liked the bichir. I remember telling the tiger barbs if they are still picking on the bichir in the morning. They would have a new hone at the pet store. Well.... Next morning I only had 3 tiger barbs and no sign of the other 2. The bichir I had was almost 12inches. The new baby I have now(years later) is just a baby.

Will they get along? Or down the road, will I need to get another 125g tank set up? For the bichir.

Mine is a peaceful creature. As long as he has a place to hide and u feed him he will be fine. Ive had him in a community before he switched to a aggresive and he has never harmed a fish other than his silversides :)

Well. A Dinosaur Bichir that pet stores sell is more accurately named the Senegal Bichir (Polypterus Senegalus). They, along with the Palmas variants, are the smallest type of Bichir. They max out at 12inches in the wild but 8-10 is more likely in aquaria.

I've had mixed results with Senegals. I'd presume that being well fed would curve some aggression.

Also, Senegals do not need huge aquarium. 55 gallons is really ok for them. Now that Ornate you spoke of. Yeah. That bad boy would need the 125.

Let me know if you have any more questions about Bichirs. I've kept them for awhile, and have kept many different species.

It will be fine as a adult. Them Lil kribs won't hurt it. They are about as tough a fish as I've ever kept. mostly you will have to worry about what fish will fit in the bichirs mouth as it grows up. I'm sure it will snack on their fry as they grow up.

Keep him well fed and youl be fine. If your planning on breeding fish with the bichir It's not going to work. The bichir will eat the fry. The aggression doesn't really come out until 5-6in but after that tiny fish are dinner.

Thank you everyone. I was thinking about when the Kribensis have eggs hatch. I have anotger 125 that I bought used but the gravel has tons of Brown stuff in it and blah blah blah Ive been lazy. But soon we will have another 125g tank set up. Any safe cichlids that can live with the richer? I would like to get a Ornate bichir down the road also.

Back
Top Bottom