Kribensis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCMA

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All, I usually stick to the saltwater section, but I also have a freshwater set up as well. I have a kribensis in my tank that has been there for over a year, he has always been okay with the cory catfish that are in the tank but for the last week or so he has been bugging them a lot. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion as to why he has changed his behavior? Also, do you think that my LFS would take him back?

He may be a breeding age and that is why he is bothering them. Some lfs's will and some won't. Ask before you try and take him back.

Cichlids will often become territorial upon reaching sexual maturity. The cories are occupying the same space as the krib, so he may now see them as intruders in his space.

I have a male krib that has been increasingly ornry. He and a female are the two kribs, and I ahve a gold gourami and a yoyo loach in the 55 gal and that is all. I wonder why they havent bred. Perhaps the water is too hard or too alkaline at 7.5.

I have pairs of Kribs in two different tanks. The pairs breed regularly, but their efforts result in feed for the tank mates.

Males are very territorial, and will be joined by the female when protecting their nest. I've seen one male chase a large Convict round and round the tank when it ventured too close.

I would think that a lone male of breeding age, might get a little testy [as any functioning male would] missing a mate, and taking the blame 'out' on some innocent passer-by, or a pawn, who gets it from everybody.

Both of my current tanks are fairly large....55g & 90g. My experience with these wonderful small tropicals has been great. They are the most hardy fish I've ever tended.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom