kribs now or apistos later?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norcalg

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55g with 9 dwarf rainbows, 6 cories, 3 dwarf gouramis (2f, 1m), and 6 albino cherry barbs. I've ordered lights and will be planting in the next few weeks but right now it's low-moderately fake planted with caves, rockwork and driftwood. I've been planning to get some Apistogramma cacatuoides (2-3) when I could find them but tonight found instead a breeding pair of kribs that a LFS really wants to sell. They've bred at the shop but no fry made it past little wiggling stage, try though the kribs did.

Will they likely be too aggressive for my little community?

Thank you,
~g
oh yeah, tank is cycled but less than 2 months old. No ammonia spikes since cycle. ::knock wood:: :)

Kribs can get very aggressive when protecting their fry. I've seen them drive fish all they way across to the other side of a 29 gallon tank. I don't think they would work well in this tank IMO unless you had some very heavy plants, rocks, etc. to separate them from the rest of the fish.

gheitman said:
Kribs can get very aggressive when protecting their fry. I've seen them drive fish all they way across to the other side of a 29 gallon tank. I don't think they would work well in this tank IMO unless you had some very heavy plants, rocks, etc. to separate them from the rest of the fish.

Thank you. That's disappointing but not surprising. :) How heavy is "heavy"? As I said, I will be planting in the next two weeks, (not that I expect to have full, lush growth or anything!) but between artificial and live plants, rocks, flower pots and driftwood, what sort of arrangement would work to separate them? Or would the wiser aquarist wait for the apistos as planned :)

~g

rich311k said:
I would wait for the apistos. Very pretty and cool little fish.

Yeah, I think I can be patient. :)
Now to find the apistos...

Thank you,
~g

Gillie said:
Aquabid is a good place to start.

:) I know! What a gorgeous bunch of apistos there. I even tried to convince my husband that a four-hour side trip when/if we go visit family to buy a pair makes perfect sense. In the meantime, I've talked to my LFSs and have my name and number down for a pair/trio of cacatuoides, when available. If that falls through, I'll suck it up and pay the shipping but I'm trying to avoid that, if possible.

~g

I sympathize with you completely and can understand your frustration. I've kept both apistos and kribs and thoroughly enjoyed them both. I've bought apistos both from my LFS and through AquaBid. If you have the room consider buying several pairs instead of just one to spread the shipping costs. Also consider going in with someone else on buying some fish if you know that they are interested.

gheitman said:
I sympathize with you completely and can understand your frustration. I've kept both apistos and kribs and thoroughly enjoyed them both. I've bought apistos both from my LFS and through AquaBid. If you have the room consider buying several pairs instead of just one to spread the shipping costs. Also consider going in with someone else on buying some fish if you know that they are interested.

I don't think I have room for more than a trio. I've got a 55 with 9 dwarf rainbows, 3 dwarf gouramis, 6 albino cherry barbs and 6 cory cats. Sharing shipping is a good idea! If it does turn out that I go the AquaBid route, I may list it on craigslist as a co-op... or ask the LFS that couldn't get them for me if they want some. :lol:

~g

I think you should go with the kribs. They add alot to a community with there breeding colors. Not all kribs are the same, some are less aggressive then others. I have had a pair that co-existed with 3 swordtails, 2 mollies, 1 albino cory, some danio's. They breed and never caused damage to the other fish, and the babies made it to maturity( this was a 20 gallon, flat hexagon fishtank). I had another pair of kribs in a 30g tank and they didnt even breed and they still beat the crap outta every one else. Also, i have known dwarf gourami's to be just as aggressive as kribs. Andd in my experience, Cockatoo's especially the blue varety very very fragile, disease succesptable(sp?) fish.

** Just my 2 sense as a new memeber**

Back
Top Bottom