Krylon Fusion (Safe or not)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fiddlerthecrab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys... I recently plumbed my saltwater tank to my sump, and soon realized that the two PVC pipes going into my "Show Tank" stick out like a sore thumb with my black background. I've been doing research on solutions and I keep running across Krylon Fusion. A lot of people swear it's safe for aquariums as long as you let the paint sit for well over the suggested time. In my Enviornmental Science college course if we ask the professor a question and he doesn't know the answer, he assigns you with the responsibility of finding the answer and then presenting it to the class.

I (unfortunately) opened my mouth and was handed the assignment of proving that Krylon Fusion was safe to use for both freshwater and saltwater aquariums, ponds, lakes, ocean, ect... I contacted Krylon Fusion directly and was told that they were unable to recommend me using it on anything that would be underwater b/c they personally have never tested the effects on reef and fish.

The only "evidence" I can find (if you want to call it that) is people posting on forms that they had used it with no problems for years. The problem is my professor will fight me tooth and nail and say that these posts are not valid sources. Also when people say "I've never had a problem with it" who's to say the problems are visable to begin with. What if the paint is slowly leaking toxins overtime into the water and shortening the fishs life span. That would be something thats hard to argue.

If anyone has a valid source that they have ran across, please let me know. Or if you know of "tested" aquarium safe clear coding that I could argue would hold in any potential toxins, I'd love to know... Thanks in advance.

P.s. I just spraypainted the PVC pipes with Krylon Fusion, let them dry, and now have a pump running water through them in a big separate bucket to help rinse any possable loose paint.

People use it, I can't say it's safe though, I know people here use it all the time. Krylon won't tell you it's safe incase something happens then there liable.

People use it, I can't say it's safe though, I know people here use it all the time. Krylon won't tell you it's safe incase something happens then there liable.

yeah, that's the problem... You can't really walk into a college course and say "Well, I read it on the internet so it must be true". I personally have read enough positive comments from people who have used it, to use it myself. I am on the otherhand still looking for a clear "aquarium safe" product to coat over the Krylon Fusion. If I can't find someone on here to be a "life saver" and come up with some valid source, I may have to present what I have now (not a whole lot). I KNOW that someone has looked extensively into the chemical makeup of Krylon Fusion and it's effects with water. I just need to find him/her.

Back
Top Bottom