Kuhli loach going crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waterjunkie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two kuhli loaches in my tank and they seem to always be swimming around and going crazy.
So I have read a few things online and what I got is that they have no place to hide so they are stressed and that's why.. But in my tank there's plenty of places for them to hide. Is it that they just need to get out and stretch or is that they are really stressed and haven't found there spots yet?
Can anyone tell me what this could be...
Thank you.

Stock is 9 tetras 6 guppies 5 Platy 1 Pleco 2 mollies 2 loaches

I also had them for a little over 2 months

My khulis do a joy dance on occasion usually first thing in the morning. They hide a lot during the day.

Could be a number of things. Without any parameters to go off of it is hard to diagnose. Do you have a test kit?

Could be a number of things. Without any parameters to go off of it is hard to diagnose. Do you have a test kit?

I don't have a test kit I need to get one.. But the tank is clean water is crystal clear all the fish look healthy and are thriving.

Clear and clean water dosent mean healthy water. Get yourself a API master test kit, run your tests, and then you can have a better idea of what MIGHT be going on.

Doing a water change couldn't hurt then if you have no kit handy. My loaches did the "dance" in my 30g for a while but haven't in my 75g.

Not sure if it really is an indication of a happy or sick fish. If it is rubbing against objects in the tank then I would be concerned.

They are fairly new still and will settle down. Mine were only a year or so old when they did it. I don't recall them doing it in several years.

Just did a water change and ordered an API master test kit from eBay. I just went to the lfs and they wanted $39 for it I saw them on eBay for $24.
They seem okay now. They are in there spots and feeding around it.

If your parameters are well, and they're eating/looking well, I wouldn't worry too much!

Mine do the happy khuli dance all the time. When they first wake up, when the sun goes down, after being fed And after water changes. They have many hiding spots and rest during the day. Sometimes even in the open lol (like intwined in my plants or just in plain open space on the sand!). They are known to be goofy. The only thing I would say is to get a few more, as they like to be in groups.

If your parameters are well, and they're eating/looking well, I wouldn't worry too much!

Mine do the happy khuli dance all the time. When they first wake up, when the sun goes down, after being fed And after water changes. They have many hiding spots and rest during the day. Sometimes even in the open lol (like intwined in my plants or just in plain open space on the sand!). They are known to be goofy. The only thing I would say is to get a few more, as they like to be in groups.

Yea I know but my lfs only had the two I have when I bought them. Got them for $2 each btw. I am still looking for more.

Yea I know but my lfs only had the two I have when I bought them. Got them for $2 each btw. I am still looking for more.

That's such a good deal! What colour are they? I know the striped ones here are like 7 a pop. Maybe they can order you some?

Back
Top Bottom