Kuhli loach question(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently bought 2 kuhli loaches and they are in my QT tank. The past few times when I go to check on them they are in the mess of plants at the surface of the water.
Is this just because that is where they feel safe? I do have a cave in the tank, a sponge filter, and seeded ceramic rings.

I am sure I will have more questions in the future, and all help/pointers is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I recently bought 2 kuhli loaches and they are in my QT tank. The past few times when I go to check on them they are in the mess of plants at the surface of the water.
Is this just because that is where they feel safe? I do have a cave in the tank, a sponge filter, and seeded ceramic rings.

I am sure I will have more questions in the future, and all help/pointers is greatly appreciated.

Kuhlis are my favorite fish but they are crazy! My first tank was a 29g that front faced the living room, back the kitchen. I worked nights then, came home after a shift and saw this:

img_3196655_0_dfb6bab1fea43c4785d5f57b81ab182e.jpg

Truly thought it was dead but no, just turned out to be a favorite resting place :rolleyes:

In one of my current tanks I've seen them do the same, they also like hiding in the shrimp caves:

img_3196655_1_f99f94e68017a9e28beb54d00cba88f5.jpg

In a nice sized group and settled in I've found them to be quite hardy. The kuhli in that first pic along with his pals were with me for over 8 years, surviving multiple moves and tank changes.

They need groups of 6 or they'll squeeze into any hiding spot that they can. Kuhlis tent to be quite strange in new environments so it's probably normal. When you put them in their home don't be surprised to see them swimming in circles for a week or so. Are they black or striped?

Sent from peliper

Kuhlis are my favorite fish but they are crazy! My first tank was a 29g that front faced the living room, back the kitchen. I worked nights then, came home after a shift and saw this:

img_3196657_0_dfb6bab1fea43c4785d5f57b81ab182e.jpg

Truly thought it was dead but no, just turned out to be a favorite resting place :rolleyes:

In one of my current tanks I've seen them do the same, they also like hiding in the shrimp caves:

img_3196657_1_f99f94e68017a9e28beb54d00cba88f5.jpg

In a nice sized group and settled in I've found them to be quite hardy. The kuhli in that first pic along with his pals were with me for over 8 years, surviving multiple moves and tank changes.

My loach does the same. The first time I want to take it out cause I thought it died it scared the crap out of me when it took off XD. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428012290.265089.jpgthis was my dojo for about 4 hours today "sleeping" on my hornwort. Not exactly a Kuhli but she acts like them

Sent from peliper

They need groups of 6 or they'll squeeze into any hiding spot that they can. Kuhlis tent to be quite strange in new environments so it's probably normal. When you put them in their home don't be surprised to see them swimming in circles for a week or so. Are they black or striped?

Sent from peliper

I have 2 because the i bought the lfs out ;) Tomorrow I hope to pick up 3 more to bring thebtotal to 5. These are the striped kind, pangio kuhlii

More questions.
Should I be concerned about the loaches swimming into my fluval 306 output or intake?
If they are not eating the pellets what would be a good choice of live food?

If there's no hiding spots they may try for the filter. I learned that the hard way. They should eat sinking pellets after awhile if not blood worms and wax worms I believe are the next best for them

Sent from peliper

Wax worms from like a bait shop?

Here is my tank.

Has a fake log for hiding under the real dw and behind the blyxa.

I believe they eat them and you shouldn't have to worry about them going for the filter the only concern you may have is if the plants aren't fully rooted they may dig them up

Sent from peliper

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428035674.079553.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428035713.167464.jpg
Mine like to lay under a price of African wood I found at my lfs and occasionally my dojo lays on a piece of drift wood I let float

Sent from peliper

Id say the best way is make sure to have a 10g you can move them to if you want to add more plants. After about a week the plant should have a good enough hold for whatever the loaches try to do

Sent from peliper

Love kuhlis!!!! They are pretty funny. Yeah mine are pretty fond of hanging out in the roots of my water lettuce which Is kinda cool to watch.

Definitely a group needed if you want them to be very active, they will still be ok but prefer company of their own kind. I have 5 and they are very happy. I think it's because of the smaller footprint of my 29g tall they are around each other more making them more bold.

I've never had a problem with uprooting at all. They like to climb my hard scape though.

29g Community

3g Betta

Id say the best way is make sure to have a 10g you can move them to if you want to add more plants. After about a week the plant should have a good enough hold for whatever the loaches try to do

Sent from peliper

That seems stressful on them. I can deal with uprooting that may go on, only 1 more plant i plan on buying.

Going to lfs today for 3 more and live food :)
If 5 a good size group or would 6 be better?

Part of the reason I made this thread is to help future kuhli owners. Trying to find all the answers to questions can prove futile(ie best live food for them, normal for them to hang out in weird spots, etc). Also one place where these answers can be found is really nice imo.

I now realize why you always rinse sand prior to add to your tank. Put an inch of play sand into the 10 gallon QT without rinsing. Spent an hour trying to clear it up so I could add the kuhlies could move back in. Going to prerinse a few more pounds of the sand in case I want to add more later.

Thank you everyone that has helped so far.

6 is the ideal but 5 should be fine with all the hiding they have in your tank they should come out. The more you have the more likely they'll come out so if you had say 20 you're more likely to see all of them out but if there are a lot of hiding spots even with 1 you can see it out constantly

Sent from peliper

Thats what I thought, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks for all your help Trainer!

Back
Top Bottom