Kuhlis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish king

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just read on line that there is something called a dwarf kuhli that will get only 2 inches is this true

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I've never heard of these but now i want some. These little guys would be so hard to spot in a tank but would be adorable when they showed themselves.

Same here I have 4 kuhlis in my ten gallon one is black I could get twice as many

I've never heard of it. Try Loaches online.. good site for info. There is a dwarf loach that's very peaceful and matures at no more than two inches.. but it's not a kuhli. I'd have to go look it up, I can't ever remember how to spell the scientific name. aka dwarf chain loach.
I keep them with shrimp & Otos.. they all get on fine.

Edit.. the name is Ambastaia sidthimunki

I was just making sure I just looked up the dwarf loach it looks cool

There are a few, not Khulis.

Dwarf chain loaches are beautiful and very expensive.

I have Pygmy multi striped loaches. Smaller. Less expensive, interesting looking, very lively. Very good at getting the food from the cracks, and eating baby snails (not MTS).

There's another I saw last week at The Wet Spot here in Portland, they do ship. I forget the name.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Can the kuhlis reach full size in a 10g or a 5

Every recommendation I've seen is that they be allowed a much bigger tank than 10 gallons.

It's a myth that the only consequence of being in a tank that is too small is not reaching full size. Fish don't stop growing to meet the size of the tank. Tank size should consider their full grown size, their need for territory and movement, and their need for companions of the same species.

The little chain loaches are quite entertaining. They are serious schoolers, keeping very close to each other, and often run up and down the corner of the glass chasing each other. They're rather comical. I've yet to see one so much as show interest in a baby cherry shrimp, there are plenty of them, but they're ignored entirely. Don't eat snails either.

I sure wouldn't keep kuhli loaches in a 10G. They need a fair bit of swimming room and plenty of hiding spots and they are also more than able to jump. I had one jump from a 29G and just by luck it landed in another tank, rather than on the floor. The other tank was only 5G. It was three feet lower down and nearly 3 feet to the side of the 29, so that kuhli darn near flew :). Black kuhli, that one.. I didn't find out where he ended up 'til I emptied the 5G.. which I was using to raise baby Ghost shrimp. He hid quite successfully on the black sand and under the wood in there, so I never saw him 'til I started taking everything out. He must have been pretty scared by himself in there. Put him back with his pals in the 29.

What's the species name on that pygmy loach ? I wouldn't mind a small snail eater and I'm very fond of loaches.

I agree about not keeping kuhlis in a 10 - they like to zoom around and just can't do that in a small tank.

Will there growth be stunt

It's extremely difficult to attribute any one thing as the cause for another in this hobby. Tank size is just one aspect that can lead to stunted growth. Whether or not a fishs growth will be stunted by the tank size is not the measuring stick for determining tank size though.

The Pygmy loach ...
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/micronemacheilus-cruciatus/

I haven't seen them eat snails. But I have noticed the pond snail population almost disappear. The MTS are doing fine. So it's possible I'm mistaken but the people at The Wet Spot are reliable and they said as long as it's tiny enough they will eat snails.

The behavior is similar to th dwarf chain loach.

You can check The Wet Spots web page to see if you can spot the other tiny loach they had, whose name I forget.

Thanks !

And as for stunting fish growth, not all fish will be stunted by a small tank. Some will just keep growing until they can hardly move, but to allow this would be cruel. And if they are fish that swim boisterously, they may become injured trying to swim the way they prefer to in a space that's too small.

Either get a tank large enough for the fish you want, or get fish small enough for the tank you have.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom