Lamp eye fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thranta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have experience with these lamp eyes? I saw them for the first time in my LFS and am trying to figure out how they get on with other fish (specifically guppies, tetra, and danios).

According to Tim's Tropical Fish and Aquariums - species profiles, facts, pictures and compatibility. :

Red Eye Tetra
should be kept in groups of 6 and is compatible with the Black Neon Tetra, Black Skirt Tetra, Bleeding Heart Tetra, Bloodfin, Congo Tetra, Corydoras Catfish, Diamond Tetra, Dwarf Gourami, Dwarf Neon Rainbow, Emperor Tetra, Featherfin Squeaker, Flame Tetra, Flying Fox, Glass Catfish, GloFish, Head-and-Tail-Light Tetra, Kuhli Loach, Lemon Tetra, Molly, Otto Catfish, Penguin Tetra, Platy, Pleco (Common), Pristella Tetra, Red Base Tetra, Siamese Algae Eater, Silver Hatchetfish, Swordtail, Upsidedown Catfish, Zebra Danio,

The Red Eye Tetra or Red Eyed Tetra originates from Brazil and Paraguay. It is a good beginner's fish. It has a bright red spot over the eye and a broad vertical black band at the base of the tail. The body is silver or golden. It is also known as the Lamp Eye Tetra. The scientific names Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae and Moenkhausia oligolepis are both used to describe Red Eye Tetras.
Tetras prefer dim lighting, which can be achieved through plant cover. Opens spaces and hiding places are both desired. Red Eye Tetras are a typical schooling tetra and should be kept in groups of at least 6. They tend to nip at fins and at plants. They are definitely not good companions for smaller tetras and guppies. Red Eyes eat flake foods, freeze dried bloodworms and brine shrimp.​

I have 4 of these in my 10 gallon tank. I also had ghost shrimps as cleaners and they killed all of them.

Back
Top Bottom