Large angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sango

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I have been thinking about this for some time now and I really dont know how to put it soooo here it is. Most of us know fish that are in our tanks do not grow their full size if they are bought as a juvenile. So my thinking is if you buy a large juvenile angel you would be able to put him in a tank of 75 gal or larger. But if you buy a large angel that has almost reached his full size or close to then you would have to stick to the larger tanks as describe in some of the minimum tank . Am I totaly of base on this thinking?

Maybe to start out, but an upgrade would soon be needed, like to at least a 180 gallon.
When I purchased my big angel 18 months ago, she was a mere 3". (see avatar).
Not she is a full 7" (see gallery) and growing like crazy. I could not imagine this fish in a 75 gallon. As it is, she is beating up a few of my fish in my 210. They need a very large system and WILL be the boss of the tank, can be quite aggressive.
HTH

Your 210 is a large system, but I would think that if a angel was to be put in a 75-125 gallon tank that its growth would slow down.

but I would think that if a angel was to be put in a 75-125 gallon tank that its growth would slow down.
I wouldn't count in it. These fish can live a long time and even if your theory was true, how healthy can this be for them? What would you do with the fish when it finally does outgrow the tank?
Also don't forget about the aggresion factor I mentioned. In a smaller tank with other fish, it will definately become a factor.

Yeah I agree with the aggresion factor. On my theory I was just thinking out loud because one of my LFS told me that they have a tang in a 500 gal and over the past two years he has grown only about an inch because they dont get all the protein and such. I was just wanting to put a juvinile yellowbar in my tank for a few years and when I could afford it put up a 180. I guess I was thinking like bonsai, you can stunt the growth of the tree and that tree still be a healthy tree... Thanks for the info quarryshark

Most books that I read say to keep a yellowbar in a min of 100 gallons, so I was thinking i was close to that.

I have never liked the idea of getting a fish with the intention of upgrading your system later on. What if you cannot afford to do it and the fish gets to big, or isn't getting enough food, or doesnt have adequate amount of territory, etc.

I say, upgrade your tank, then worry about the big angel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom