large plecos.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishhooked

Aquarium Advice Activist
So last week there was an offer at my lfs that was a 12in plecos for free. I kinda want one for my 180, but there all big carnivorous fish so I need a bigger pleco.

Since my yr of fish addiction and research iv read plecos stop eating the algae once there grown? Is this true cause I'd like to get one, or 5 since it's a 180. Though with the 4 fish I got. I already have no room left. And there all juvies.

Correct, plecos really aren't great algae cleaners after a year or so of age.

Is there any large "cleaner" type fish that could live with a couple monster carnivores?

Placostomis like more protein in there diet after a year it looks like

I got one in my community tank prob 5-6in. I try to give him wafers but I got two silver dollars and they Don't let anyone get there hands on them. I i gotta put two in so they don't fight over it

I got one in my community tank prob 5-6in. I try to give him wafers but I got two silver dollars and they Don't let anyone get there hands on them. I i gotta put two in so they don't fight over it

Haha I used to love watching my one of my silver dollars catch an algae wafer then be chased by the rest of the school :D

Yeah its deffinatly a funny thing to watch. Other then every plant we had in there turned to stem after we added those.

So last week there was an offer at my lfs that was a 12in plecos for free. I kinda want one for my 180, but there all big carnivorous fish so I need a bigger pleco.

Since my yr of fish addiction and research iv read plecos stop eating the algae once there grown? Is this true cause I'd like to get one, or 5 since it's a 180. Though with the 4 fish I got. I already have no room left. And there all juvies.

Lol. You've already answered your own question. You don't have the tank capacity for a pleco, and they wouldn't solve your problem anyway. They sure would add to your problems though!

Lol. You've already answered your own question. You don't have the tank capacity for a pleco, and they wouldn't solve your problem anyway. They sure would add to your problems though!

Your right I don't have room, but for the next. 6-8m I will. I really only have four fish and the conclusion is basically three will eventually be food.

This is the size of a full grown plecohe is in a tank with 5 oscars and about 10 freshwater rays and a massive albino plec to they grow huge

ForumRunner_20130816_233612.jpg

ForumRunner_20130816_233637.jpg

Bristlenoses can get up to 6 inches long, rather than the 3-4 inches someone already said. They're still a fairly messy fish, but not as messy as a common plec.

Bristlenoses can get up to 6 inches long, rather than the 3-4 inches someone already said. They're still a fairly messy fish, but not as messy as a common plec.

I heard from the LFS and a lot of websites that they grow 4 inches, no 5 or 6

My bristlenose boy is 6 inches long. I think the girls tend to stay a bit smaller. Probably about the 3-4 inch mark, but the boys can definitely get to 6 inches.

Oh wow, you guys are lucky then, my LFS only has females that are 2 inches long, and I have only seen them get 4 inches
:sorry:

Back
Top Bottom