Largemouth Bass and possibly Alligator Gar tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kphilly2017

Aquarium Advice Activist
Planning to acquire a tank that it roughly around 300 gallons and honestly just want some constructive advice on whether not if I could keep LMB bass together with Gar, and if not would it be okay to keep a very limited school of LMB together. Would like for this tank to be planted as well. Please feel free to offer any advice, I'm wanting to do this right. I have kept many tanks before, nothing quite this big.

Most tanks being saltwater and one being fresh. I do not have any experience with the LMB or Gar, so I'm hoping the aquarium community could get me started!

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew those were not for most people to keep and after a check of the actual size they will get 8-10 feet long couple hundred pounds - I would think it would be a very poor choice even for a 300G tank. Probably for any size tank. They will eat everything they can get into their gigantic alligator shaped mouth. Those teeth look pretty darn dangerous.

LM Bass look to be too large at adulthood to be kept too.

There are similar kinds of creatures which might be better choices for an aquarium.

Other game fish too might need permits to keep.

Are you interested in Natives or large predatory fish in general???

I knew those were not for most people to keep and after a check of the actual size they will get 8-10 feet long couple hundred pounds - I would think it would be a very poor choice even for a 300G tank. Probably for any size tank. They will eat everything they can get into their gigantic alligator shaped mouth. Those teeth look pretty darn dangerous.

LM Bass look to be too large at adulthood to be kept too.

There are similar kinds of creatures which might be better choices for an aquarium.

Other game fish too might need permits to keep.

Are you interested in Natives or large predatory fish in general???

I actually researched it like you did and decided against it. For the exact reasons you mentioned. I remember I've got an empty 55G at home and decided to just get back into saltwater. Thinking of going with a 125G tank and turning the 55G into a sump. Thanks for the reply though!

I actually researched it like you did and decided against it. For the exact reasons you mentioned. I remember I've got an empty 55G at home and decided to just get back into saltwater. Thinking of going with a 125G tank and turning the 55G into a sump. Thanks for the reply though!

No problem. A few year back I had a person I worked with who was always buying them and they would die after a few months. It had been a long time since I looked that up. But wowzie the mouth on one of those big ones is scary!

And since they would eat most anything, you wouldn't be able to have any other fish so, happy to hear you are taking a different direction!!!

No problem. A few year back I had a person I worked with who was always buying them and they would die after a few months. It had been a long time since I looked that up. But wowzie the mouth on one of those big ones is scary!

And since they would eat most anything, you wouldn't be able to have any other fish so, happy to hear you are taking a different direction!!!

Yeah, I'm kind of excited to get back into SW. This time gonna get some really nice lights to run he daytime and nighttime cycle. For some odd reason I think that's the coolest thing ever. Haha

Back
Top Bottom