Larger tank better for algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Schlteacher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a 10 gallon aquarium several years ago. It was my first aquarium and I enjoyed it, but had an ongoing problem with algae. I tried turning off the lights, tested my water, etc., but nothing seemed to fix the problem. I had to scrub the entire aquarium weekly or it looked gross. I did get an algae eater, but the options that would survive in a 10 gallon tank were pretty limited. One day the tank started leaking and I decided I was tired of all the algae cleaning, so just brought my fish to a friend's aquarium and gave up the hobby.

Now I am having the itch to start an aquarium again, but am still worried about the algae issue, since I never really figured out what was causing that. I am wondering if a larger tank would be less likely to have these issues? I've heard that larger tanks are more stable and easier to keep in general, plus maybe I would be able to accommodate a larger algae-eater fish. On the other hand, maybe there's just something about my water that promotes algae. Looking for input on whether a larger tank might be better.

It could also have been the location you had the tank. I see a lot less algae in my 55g than I did in my smaller tanks. It will be way easier to keep algae eaters in a larger tank. Anything 30g or above can comfortably keep smaller plecos, mollies, platys or a school of otos (depending on how much algae you have).

Back
Top Bottom