Lava Rocks and High Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molotov256

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, I'm getting confused here.

I set up a used tank that I got. Before I set it up, I washed it out (yes, I used soap, but I rinsed it really really really well with a pressure washer, so I THINK that should be okay).

I let the tank run for about a week with a bio wheel filter and a heater in it, and after asking a few people, I bought some lava rock from the walmart garden center to use as a substrate because it looks really cool. I rinsed it off pretty well, too, because it was really dirty. I got the water tested before I bought any fish, and they said I had high ammonia, so I put some amquel-plus in the tank to try to counteract that. I got the water tested again, and the lady said that the water was fine, but also that the lava rocks were going to continue to put off ammonia. She said that as long as I use amquel, it would be okay. Since the water was fine, I picked up a few feeder fish to put in the tank to test it before I bought any nice fish, and they all died within 24 hours. (hmm, sounds like the water may not be so fine after all?) :?

SOOOOO... my question is this. Why do I have high ammonia, and how can I fix it? The only 2 things I can think of is either the soapy washing may not have been rinsed well enough, or the lava rocks are a lethal substrate. BUT, if thats the case, then why did my water test out fine for ammonia? I've also read in a few places online that lava rocks help REMOVE ammonia from ponds. Too much conflicting information. I figured that with all the super-smart people here at aquariumadvice, somebody would help set me straight here!! :wink:

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Has your tank cycled? it sounds like it hasn't cycled at all, perhaps some Bio starter would be a good addition to the tank to start the cycling process, it seems you have ammonia to start the cycle.

There could have been something else in the lava rocks aswell (Just a possibility) since they are porous they can harbour all kinds of wierd things..

Hmm, no the tank hasn't cycled yet, I haven't put any fish or anything in to start the cycle besides the ones that died in a day.

What is this bio-starter you speak of? I take it there is something to start the tank cycle besides fish?

Also, you're saying that all lava rock is not ammonia rich?

I really can't say if Lava rock is ammonia rich, but I do know it can have all kinds of stuff stuck in it..

the Biostarter stuff (couldn't think of the right name) stress zyme or something similar, usually it can be found at petsmart..

From what I can see on a quick google, lava rock can house enough bacteria in it's pours to completely netralize it...

Lava rock itself should not be putting off ammonia, but are you using it as decoration, or as the actual covering for the bottom of the tank? It is large pored and will trap debris that will eventually give you trouble, so I'm just clarifying, though that is not an issue right now.

Rats could have been in the lava rock and the ammonia is from their urine, since warehouses normally have plenty of rats, and Walmart would have stored the lava rock there for a time, no doubt. That's the only thing I can think of. Fish produce ammonia in their respiration and other wastes, so in the absence of a living creature I don't know how you can have ammonia.

Once you get a "clean" tank to start with, do not use ammonia removing additives, they will impair the cycle of the tank by starving the bacteria that you are trying to grow. Bio-Spira is the only product I know of that will cycle your tank. Hagen Cycle will not. You can fishless cycle, and in fact if you have ammonia in the tank right now you can just keep on running it empty with ammonia in it and the tank will cycle without fish. You just have to wait and keep the ammonia level at 3-5ppm. After a while you won't be able to read any ammonia but you keep adding it every day to feed the bacteria, and you'll get nitrite for a few weeks, then when the nitrite is gone you are ready to do a big water change and add fish.

I agree with TG. There is an article about the nitrogen cycle and one on the Humane Way to Cyle your tank in the Articles section.

Allright, thanks for all your help! I'll swing by my lfs and get some BioStarter and see if that helps.

My original plan was to use the lava rocks as the actual covering for the tank bottom, but I'll probably reconsider that now. I may go with sand again.

Back
Top Bottom