Lazy lethargic betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cdeuce33

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all. This is my first post on this gigantically helpful site. I have a 6 gallon or so hexagon tank in my daughter's room. We put a betta in it last Saturday, and now he's very lethargic, and really only hangs in the artifical plant leaves, and doesn't swim much unless up to the top. Is it possible my undergravel filter isn't working? We are feeding him betta food once a day as directed. Temp is about 76 or so degrees. I did about a 30% water change this past Saturday. Any and all advice would be appreciated. Want to add some others soon, but not until I get this betta healthy, if he is indeed troubled. Thanks.

Chris K.

[center:f288d64ca1] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, cdeuce33!! :n00b: [/center:f288d64ca1]
What are the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? When you picked up the betta, was it active? Is there a fast current/surface aggitation?

Regarding bears post....

The tank was only let to sit 1 day per advice from a pet shop; however, all my reading said wait a week or more.

Okay, so the tank is uncycled. Read about the nitrogen cycle in the Articles section. Just letting a tank sit will do nothing. Ammonia needs to be added to the tank (it is produced by the fish) and then bacteria will convert it to nitrite....
Bettas like a calm surface and not a ton of agitation.

Looking ahead, what other fish did you want to add to the tank?

Also, the temperature may be on the cool side. Bettas prefer a temp of 80 degrees. A heater (wattage of the heater depends on the size of tank you have -- a 6 gallon would probably take a 25 watt heater) and a thermometer would be beneficial. A fluctuating water temp is just as bad as water that's too cool. A heater will keep the water temp from fluctuating.

Also, the temperature may be on the cool side.
Nice catch.

Chris, when you said "last Saturday" was that the 31st or 24th of July? This betta could still be getting used to the new place. Try as An t-iasg suggested and keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom