lazy swords

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swampman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I have a couple of female swords. Male died. All they do is stay in one place on the bottom. They are fast swimmers when need to be. When the male was alive I thought they could be pregnant. They still look pregnant but no babies. Strange , all the other fish in the tank swim around just fine. the swords do not look sick at al. Anyone else have lazy swords.

So they are pregnant most likely, they may seem lazy now but in reality they were just being chased around so much because of the male and his breeding... your good!

I'd check a couple things - is their position in the tank near something like the heater or filter outflow?
Are their pectoral fins clamped to the side (held tight against their body)?
Generally, fish staying in one spot is a sign of weakness, usually as a result of poor water quality, water temperature or disease. Have you tested your water?

Thanks

My water is 0amon,0 nitros ,5 nitros. 7.8 ph no clamping Ian thinking it might be the water temp too warm. 80f. I was told awards like it a bit warmer. But they were down on the bottom before that. I than thought they were having babies. But no babies seen Guppies yes no awards. This has never happened before with swords. I bought these from a local breeder at a swap meet. Do you think they need a male

Back
Top Bottom