Leaf litter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexwm125

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I really like the look of leaf litter in the aquarium. It look really natural and provides hiding spots for many creatures.
For me it's mostly aesthetics but I think my kuhlis would love it!!

Are there any adverse effects to using leaves?

Most people use Indian almond leaves, can you use magnolia or oak leaves?
Magnolia seems more similar in thickness and shape...and a lot of people use it in dart frog tanks.

I love my fish!!!

That's what I wanted to kinda talk about.
I know people use Indian almond leaves in many shrimp tanks.

It looks great in natural setups though. I've been looking through a ton of pictures and wanted to try it, given my fish would love it too!

Not my pictures just examples
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424737090.847904.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424737106.264459.jpg

I love my fish!!!

I don't know about Magnolia or Oak, although I've seen that a lot of fish appreciate the Catappa (Indian Almond) leaves in the aquarium, especially if you're doing a biotope.
The leaf litter usually creates a "black water" effect, so keep that in mind if you like your water crystal. You also want to replace them every few weeks, I think it is, once they hit the decomposition stage. I think I've seen them on Bob's Tropical Plants fairly cheap before.

Love the black water effect. Looks awesome to me.
Any way to get out of taking them out and let nature take it course? Or will water quality pay.

I love my fish!!!

Don't quote me on this, but I have read that oak leaves have a similar effect on water chemistry as Indian Almond leaves. However, unless you know there are no pesticides on the leaves I wouldn't use them.

I love the black water as well, it looks great in the aquarium biotopes.
You would have to watch for ammonia spikes as it decomposes, that would be your biggest concern with leaving them in the tank.

Unfortunately a lot of people do. A lot of softwater fish display better color when tannins are present.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So leaf litter is beneficial chemically?

I just like the aesthetics of a slow jungle stream or something. Do they produce ammonia or anything while breaking down and need replacing or can you leave them?

I love my fish!!!

A lot of those fish are nervous in clear water, especially with bright lighting. Put the same species in a black water planted biotope and they'll look like completely different fish.
Dim or subdued lighting is part of the biotope as well. But that can also be accomplished with driftwood and some floating plants.
I think I've seen SeriouslyFish suggest using a bag of peat moss in the filter to aid in creating black water as well.

As for the leaves they should be removed and replaced. You'll see ammonia in the tank if you don't, can't say how much of an effect it would have though.

I've tried to have leaf litter, but the leaves broke down really fast and just made a mess, so I gave up.

Fishobsessed7

Hmmm so after some suggestions and thought it seems like too much work.
Peat in the filter sounds interesting. Wouldn't it break down too though.

I love my fish!!!

It would also need to be replaced, Fluval is one that sells the aquarium-safe peat. You place it in a mesh bag if I'm remembering correctly so if you want black water it may be easier than the leaf litter.

Oak leaves are fine in a tank. Have never heard of anyone spraying pesticides on an oak, so unless it is somewhere there could be incidental contamination, it shouldn't be an issue.Lots of people use them in their apisto and shrimp tanks because they are free.

Back
Top Bottom