Leaking Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PistolPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I have 29g reef tank that I recently had to move to the basement. It appears that a small puddle is forming in the back of the tank on the stand. I have a Penguin HOB filter that appears not to be the source. I first discovered it after i found salt creep that formed in the front of the tank. I have no clue where it came from and it isn't leaking a lot. I am not in full blown panic mode yet. What should I do next?

Panic.

Kidding kidding. Its difficult to patch a leak from the outside, as the pressure will keep blowing it outwards. the strength from a silicone seam is enforced by the fact that the water pressure is "pushing" it to the joint.

The only way I know how to properly fix it is to drain and re-silicone. and that's a PITA because silicone doesn't stick to itself. You'll need a LOT of overlap and depending on your gravel line - might be ugly.

Others may have better idea's though!

Might be the perfect time to justify a bigger tank ? :-D

Yea, I wish I could justify a bigger one. I think apartment living next year would be rough with all that weight. I may be wrong. Do you think an apartment could handle a 55-75g?

Anyhow I really dont want to have to drain it as I just moved it. I don't even know for sure where the leak is. And I handled it with care. Maybe when I was removing the sand with the cup it ruined the sealing on the bottom.

Any ideas on how I could pinpoint the leak. And like I said it appears to be fairly small as well.

I knew someone who had a 125 in a apartment and it was just fine

The weight isn't a problem, just place it against a load bearing wall. The liability of a leak is another matter. I would be sure to have something placed to catch any leakage before it can make it to the apartment below (if there is one).

I'm in a 55 year old apartment (on the 8th floor) and they said I'm good up to 100 pounds per square foot (building code)

Some wooden places are 50, most new buildings are 150 pounds.

So, my 75 gallon has a footprint of 5 square feet - so 500 pounds. 75 gallons of water weighs... just over 600 pounds.

Ah well, close enough - they said it was OK and that someone had a 125 gallon a few floors below me. (I was happy when I heard it was below, lol)

I do have it against a load bearing wall as well, and there's 6 inches behind it... so that adds another 2 square feet... right? lol

No issues so far.

A waterbed can weigh even more, and even though it is spread out more, most of the weight ends up in the middle of the floor. I don't think the fish tank is any issue at all.

Ok thats nice to know. Thanks everyone.

Does anyone know of a way to check for the leak?

Edit: To pinpoint the exact location.

I had the same problem with my 29 gallon! Maybe you jarred or banged it when you moved the tank? My tank got hit by a door (I know it's in an awkward spot) and about 2 days later it was leaking around the bottom somewhere! I went and bought a 40 gallon tank! The length was the same for me (36") So I could use my same light fixture. I love the 40 gal tank! Maybe you could look into that size? It's just a bit wider so you have more options with rocks and stuff! Good Luck!!

Back
Top Bottom