LED fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what was your tank dimensions again? i think you'll be able to keep corals under this fixture, but i don't believe that it's "designed to provide large illumination coverage of 8 to 10 square feet".
illumination coverage?what exactly does this mean? it will throw light that far, or it will keep photosynthetic creatures alive that far away?
it's hardly the latter with 1 watt LEDs.
also, there is only one cord shown exiting the unit. this means you cannot control the blues and whites separately. i don't read anything about them being dimmable either. unless they have dimmer switches built right into the fixture (which they don't mention) then i don't think you have the flexibility they state.
these are 1 watt LEDs with little to no optics. the spread will be nice, and the PAR mention of 182 at 24" is fine for a reef. besides the control aspect, this will do the job for you as far as keeping corals.

i'll also mention that i had dealings with "led wholesalers" and i wasn't happy with them. they sold me a LED panel a couple years ago, which they also advertised as aquarium suitable, but when i got it i realized it was less than quality. shoddy build and messy silicone on the cord, and no mention of PAR numbers, i thought for the price i would at least be able to put it over my refugium. it was true that it could not sustain corals, but i still mounted it about 6" off of the water over a piece of rock with some button polyps on it to see what happened. the next day it seemed to suck up all of the moisture in the room and was only half lit. i smelled wires burning and upon inspection found it to be completely water logged. it was pretty amazing really, how it drew all of that water out of the air.
i sent it back and they sent me another one. the second only half lit upon arrival. i smacked it with my hand and it would blink on and off.
i contacted them about it and they said that's they best they can do because they shouldn't even have sent me a replacement because i submerged the last one in water.
lucky paypal protected me.

some pics of the actual worthless fixture:
img_1261715_0_60743803f3728bcfca97150ec93eee42.jpg

see the intensity compared to a 6 lamp nova pro just above it...
img_1261715_1_e60c860b780a5b6b8af7bfc9aaa09b66.jpg

img_1261715_2_7335f18a0fb36d8929a46244745ef807.jpg

img_1261715_3_05c93cbd0b71d8ad2cbb1f64eedfa165.jpg

cardboard
img_1261715_4_ed9728f8a1fd4df984fea5d49b8758ea.jpg

i hope they got better with their build quality!

Last edited:
I looked at the product and it is being sold by LEDWholesalers. I was going to buy from them, but asked on here first if they were a good distributor. What I heard was mixed, but the bad reviews were really bad. Ask around maybe they have changed their reputation, but thought I should warn you.

i don't know enough about them to comment on whether they will work for you or not. i wasn't saying earlier that the 1 watt LEDs wouldn't work for you. as a matter of fact, i think a fixture with those dimensions probably would, if you mounted it a few inches up so the spread would reach the ends. if the PAR at 24" is what they say it is, then i think you'll be able to keep sps in the top half of the tank. their build quality and overall support is another story.

Gti_Leo said:
yeah i've been also looking at cree LEDs

24 Ultra Premium LED Do-It-Yourself Retrofit Kit

on this heat sink

4.25" x 16" Aluminum Heat Sink

the dimensions on my tank are 24x21x15. its a bow front so from the back to the start of the bow is 11"

i'd liek to be able to house SPS, but whose to say if i'd actually get them, i'd just like to be able to and not have to worry.

If you do get this i would like to know how it works for you seems like a sweet price.

Back
Top Bottom