LED lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clark4feathers

Aquarium Advice Freak
do the LED blue lights that came with my tank just for show or do they serve a purpose? and is it better to break up the light cycle or fun it for 6 hours all at once?

Tammy, it was thought that mimicing the moons cycle would aid in making corals spawn. Well it turns out that it's the tides and temp. and not so much the moon that makes corals spawn. That said light manufacters jumped on the bandwagon and created "Moon lights as a selling point. A side from looking cool moon lights serve no real purpose.

Ideas on lights. Is it better break up how long they are on? I am home at night and would like them to run at night while I am at home

Ideas on lights. Is it better break up how long they are on? I am home at night and would like them to run at night while I am at home

Id set the light cycle such that they are on while you are home and off when you are not. They tank wont care, just as long as its consistent. Dont break up the cycle, as its not normal.

Matt

I agree with Mrg...as long as your light cycle is the same everyday the tank won't care. I have my lights on from 12 noon to 10pm because that is when I am at home. No sense lighting the tank and not enjoying it.
+1 for the post..

10 hours is pretty normal it seems. Think about how much daylight these corals would see in their natural environment. If you want to get really fancy, have your blues come on for an hour or so then both for 8 hours then your blues for an hour again. Total of 10 hours but it will simulate a sunrise/sunset of sorts.

Back
Top Bottom