LED or Dual T5HO?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

Trying to equipment plan my 72 gallon bow front tank. Width is 48 inches (so looking for a 48 inch light). I'm planning on something medium planted, so I don't need super intense lights, just something that will keep my plants going but not give me crazy algae. The tank came with I think generic shop lights and a spare GE 48" bulb (not sure if compact fluorescent or what??) but it looked like a T8 to me, and didn't look like it'd grow plants...

I don't really know much of the difference between wanting to use LEDs vs T5/T5HO or whatnot. Anyone have any helpful tips? I'm trying to maintain a light budget of $150. Not 100% sure which plants I'll be including in the tank, but I'll only be using DIY CO2.

Here's what I'm looking at:
T5HO
LED

I don't really care about moonlights or anything like that, I just want my plants to grow. On my current tank (29 gallon), I have a dual T5 lamp, so that's the only experience I have.

Thanks! :D

I got the Finnex 24/7 Planted LED system for my new tank. I have yet to use it but it came highly recommended. Mine is a 48in. Got it off of Amazon and I payed like 150 for it.

Do you know much about the Planted+ and the Planted 24/7? The Planted+ was the one I was looking at as it's like $15 cheaper and I don't need a light on 24/7 haha, plus the remote seems excessively fiddley to me.

I've heard good things about Finnex too, which is why if I decide on an LED, it'd be through them.

One reason I would not buy a T5 or T5 HO (high output) fixture is because the cost of new bulbs each year will begin to add up. LEDs run much cooler, use les energy, and the fixtures generally have a slimmer, more attractive chassis/profile.
I have a few of the Finnex LED fixtures (FugeRay, Planted+). The 24/7 offers variable intensities/colors during the the course of the day (there is a dark phase). For that size of tank the lighting should be in the low medium to maybe medium range for either the 24/7 or Planted+.
As for CO2, you might be able to get away without using it but the plants will definitely benefit from it. DIY CO2 has its limitations and is not very effective in tanks larger than 20 gallons. If pressurized CO2 is not quite in the picture, a carbon source from dosing Glutaraldehyde will help with plant growth and algae suppression. You could use Excel or API CO2 Booster, but that can get costly over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom