led reef lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 36" wide 35 gallon Reed tank. The current light I have on there is an aquatic life dual 39w t5 ho. I was thinking of trading it out for more energy efficient led lights. Would this light be good enough for my tank? Or am I better with my t5 hos? I'm also using a marineland hidden led strip. Its only 6500k with atinics.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=300796974456&cmd=VIDESC

LPS, SPS, softies. I mainly have zoas but different frags of others.

I am following this thread. I have the same lighting on my 29 gallon and am looking to upgrade my tank size and maybe upgrade or supplement my lighting.

I'd recommend Taotonic LEDs... One would work and u can grow anything... Pic is my 180g, but as u can see, I have clams, lps, sps, softies, and shrooms...

Attachments

• image-3542294128.jpg
    image-3542294128.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 202
I have tmc aquaray reef White/blues and Arcadia moonlight blue led,s and all is happy zoas and mushrooms are growing like mad ! Just remember the deeper the tank the more lights you will need !

I import LEDs like the Tatronic ones on EBay. They are inexpensive and work fine. For what you pay, they are disposable if there is a problem. I have a PAR meter and I haven't found any issues.

Thanks for all the opinions. But what do you think of the one in my first post?

That is a 75 watt fixture, yielding at best 2 watts per gallon on your 35. If your tank is relatively shallow, you can grow some easy corals. But you will need twice that amount for more light hungry organisms like SPS and most anemones.

Well right now I have two 39watt t5 ho bulbs. Its 78 Watts total. Things seem to be going good with them. I only have one spa is a Hollywood stunner chalice I believe. I think my tank is 16" deep. I have that chalice piece up top right under the light. I don't plan to get any anemones of acro/montiporas. I also have the 6500k led light with atinics. Not sure how much it helps but I use the atinics at night on it.

I'm looking for an affordable energy efficient light. Figured leds would be the way to go seeing as they last about 5 years and I don't have to buy two $30 bulbs every so often.

paul87 said:

Won't really grow anything. Trust me, u start with coral and it's addicting. You'll want more and different stuff. Y not just get something that will support all kinds of corals without having to upgrade later?

Back
Top Bottom