led reef lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gregcoyote said:
I import LEDs like the Tatronic ones on EBay. They are inexpensive and work fine. For what you pay, they are disposable if there is a problem. I have a PAR meter and I haven't found any issues.

+1 on these. I have a similar unit but theyre pretty much all the same. 1 would be enough for a 36" tank but you would have to mount them 7-9 inches from water surface to get an even spread otherwise the sides will be dimmed.

Problem being my tank is a hex front/flat back and the top frame doesn't allow for much lighting. Its got about a 6-8" x 36" opening in the back and another little rectangle cut out in the front. I read the taotronics aren't the greatest because in order to have alot of light you need very high wattage. Also a quality led shouldn't need fans to cool it the heat syncs alone should be able to handle it. Ill get the measurements of the openings later when I'm home.

I understand what they say about them, but I know members that have them, get great growth, and have no issues. My lights are 7 inches above the tank. My lights aren't hot. It's overall ur choice, but I don't see y u should spend thousands on a light that will do the same and cost 1/3 of the price.

I totally agree with you. I've heard alot of people have good results with taotonics. I'm just trying to find the best light for the price that will fit my tank specs. I figured led would be a better choice than my t5 hos. What lights do you have? And do you have fans?

paul87 said:
I totally agree with you. I've heard alot of people have good results with taotonics. I'm just trying to find the best light for the price that will fit my tank specs. I figured led would be a better choice than my t5 hos. What lights do you have? And do you have fans?

I have the Taotonic... And yes they have fans. But after they fell in the tank, none work. The lights still work fine.

Uh oh! Good they still work though. How many Watts do u have in them? And what size tank?

paul87 said:
Uh oh! Good they still work though. How many Watts do u have in them? And what size tank?

3w each, and 180g tank... So I believe it's 150w each.. I gotta look again.

Kio707 said:
3w each, and 180g tank... So I believe it's 150w each.. I gotta look again.

That's right I think...a 5x10 array using 50-3 watt LEDs. Just add up the part count times the wattage they are driven at. Optics make a big difference, each LED is like a small flashlight. Different optics control coverage and PAR at a certain depth.

Last edited:
So I got a 120 48X24X25 (L W H)
I was looking to get 2 of the new 141 watt lights. Are they good enough or should I go with the 212W?
I have only zoas and polyps right now, but would like to expand to sps and lps soon.:blink:

Your choice. I tend to like both depending on the corals. Some folks like the blue color as it can look more fluorescent on SPS corals, while I like a whiter light to set off reds like in my mushrooms.

Anybody familiar with this kind of lighting. I could make my own Hood for it or put it under the brace on my tank maybe.

Oh OK. Well it says corals. They have 10000k 14000k blues and magentas.

Spotted said:
Does anyone know what wattage these leds are equivalent to? like 212w led is the same as a ______ t5 or _______ halide?

LEDs depend on the optics to control coverage and PAR, so it is a bit hard to make a direct comparison.
I am very conservative, so take that into mind, but I think the taotronic Chinese panels are about: 212 watt LED = 400 watts MH
More efficient LEDs can be up to 3-1 in efficiency. I can't speak to the t5's but my guess it is about the same as MH.

Back
Top Bottom