LED Reef Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bamadude91

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would appreciate some opinions/reviews/personal experience on a couple LED reef lighting systems that I'm interested in. My tank is finished cycling. Putting corals in is months down the road, but I want to go ahead and get the reef lighting system. I'm not interested in DIY LED lighting, any hanging LED lighting systems, and I'm doing this on a budget so I don't need any $500 lighting system recommendations. I understand that there are limitations to LED reef lighting at the present time, and I'm only interested in growing mushrooms, soft corals, polyps, and other low lighting corals.
The two systems I keep coming back to are the FLUVAL Sea Marine LED lighting system and the Current USA Orbit Marine LED Reef lighting system. I'm more familiar with the FLUVAL brand, but a friend swears by the Current lighting.
I'm afraid to consider purchasing the Marineland Reef Capable lighting system because of poor reviews of reliability.

Current:
Current USA Orbit Marine LED Saltwater Reef Lighting System: Aquarium LED Light Fixtures
Website containing PAR values:
http://current-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Orbit_Marine_Light_Specifications.jpg

Fluval PAR values (towards bottom):
Product Review: Hagen Fluval Sea LED Light - reefs.com

What size tank? How deep is it? And what corals do you foresee that you will want to add? Very very important questions when dealing with both those options.

Tank is 29 gallons, so I believe that's 18" if I'm remembering correctly. As far as what corals, I'm not entirely sure. I definitely would like some mushrooms. Plate coral, candy cane coral, trumpet coral, frogspawn, and bubble coral look cool. According to live aquaria, a number of those don't require intense lighting and are listed as "moderate". If these aren't options, what are some corals you'd recommend?

I have the Current USA orbit fixture, it's a pretty slick fixture. I don't have and corals under it yet- I actually want to try soon. Supposedly from all of the reviews I've read, people are easily keeping many soft corals and some LPS alive under the fixture. One guy even had a bubble tip anemone 16" from the surface thriving for a while now.

While I don't have experience growing corals under it, I think it's a great fixture for the money and comes with some cool features. If you're looking into mainly LPS and some demanding SPS though, this isn't what you want

I have upgraded 3 times now! The orbit was number 2, i don't think it is a good idea to limit yourself to Lps and softies before you get your first coral! The challenge of corals is to me the most intriguing part of running a reef! Please don't limit yourself with lighting!

Back
Top Bottom