Leonard has no gill covers!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leonardloach

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey my name is chris.I'm brand new to this site and i love it crazy sauce!!!
Anyhoo been working frantically with my loach leonard.
First of all.I bought him not fully understanding his needs.I had a loach before and he was about 4 inches long(so about a juvenile)and he was fantastic!Didn't know at the time that they were meant to be kept in larger groups.But he did fine.
Now leonard, being the last loach left at the shop i took him with out choice.When he was assimilated and swimming around i noticed something quite disturbing.He had no gill covers,was sickly pale,i could seee his spine and had ich.I picked a winner folks.A real champion!
Well took care of his ich problem to the displeasure of my wonderful and now lackluster Horn wort.Got a second loach of similar size(yes still not enough but here in this town shipments are hard to come by.Store is gettin a shipment in a week).:)
As for the skinny paleness and lack of gill covers i don't know what to do.I have had him for about a month he barely eats and is nowhere near as active as his new friend. Let me know what you think i don't want my little buddy to die.

Hi Chris & welcome!!!! Unfortunately, i am not an expert on loaches but i do know they get VERY big, need to be in groups, & need very pristine water. How do your water parameters look (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph)? In respect to the sickly fish, in the future, do not buy sick fish! You will save yourself a world of trouble & heartache! Do you have a qt tank? As he is not eating, treating the water would be your only option & i think his chances of recovery are probably slim. You can try feeding him a metronizadole medicated food-if he wont eat it, then you could try metro for the water & hope for the best. I wouldnt treat your entire tank with it, however, because you risk killing your bacteria (thus a qt tank). Lets try to help him & hope for the best!

Back
Top Bottom