Lesson learned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiffanyjoy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I started this new hobby about 5-6 weeks ago and wanted to share my experiences and things I've learned thus far.

Lesson #1- never add a dried star fish to the aquarium. Its a dead fish and will cause ammonia spike.

Lesson #2- Ask lots of questions BEFORE setting up aquarium. Nitrogen cycle is important!

Lesson #3- agronite sand is for a reef tank not a freshwater tank and will cause a high ph.

Lesson #3- cuttlebone works wonders when placed in tank for snail shells but will cause a high kh.

Lesson #4- snails poop ALOT! A gravel vac is a necessity.

Lesson #5- driftwood leaks tanons (not sure of spelling) that will lower your ph and cause your water to look brownish. ALWAYS rinse and boil first. (that goes for all deco.)

Lesson #6- never listen to the pet store employees. They try to oversell and are undereducated. Google works best.

Lesson #7- make sure you know the characteristic traits of the fish. Serpea tetras are aggressive and killed all my fancy guppies. :(
*I returned them back to fish store.

Lesson #8- when changing subtrait make sure you drain water in a tub and remove fish from tank first unless you want a huge mess and mucky water.

Lesson #9- black sand makes the colors of the fish more vibrant; white sand makes the fish feel like they are out in the open and their colors dull.

Lesson #10- I've discovered how much I enjoy creating the best environment for my fish and have learned alot in a short time.

Sent from my LGL82VL using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's a good list. Just remember that you'll keep making mistakes no matter how long you're in this hobby. We all do, and we all keep learning lessons. :flowers:

Lesson #6- never listen to the pet store employees. They try to oversell and are undereducated. Google works best.

Just to amend that a bit: some chain store employees are really good, and some LFS employees are awful. You just need to take the time to find out which is which and stick with the good ones. Also, when searching the Internet, be sure to look for verification. There's a lot of bad info out there, too. :hide:

(Sounds like you ran into some of the bad ones. :banghead: )

Last edited:
Yes my LFS is terrible and gives little advice if any, even when I ask. Most of what I've learned is from research and other hobbiest on forums like these. I'm going to be checking out the chain pet store this week and hope they are better. Looking to get a better lighting system, preferably the led strip lights that have the purple and white. Also some more fish. I currently have 5 zebra danio, 1 pearl danio (because they gave me the wrong fish, was supposed to have 6 zebras), 6 neon tetras, 2 ghost shrimp, 3 zebra snails and 2 tiger snails. Looking to get some fish with vibrant colors. Any suggestions? I have a 20 gallon long tank NOT heavaly planted. I'm going to go with some moss and I saw this cool stuff that looks like grass growing from the top of the tank.

Look into the Finnex Stingray. A 30" model will cost $56 on Amazon. Product details in the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's a 20 gallon long. I was hoping to have one more species, something bright and vibrant to kinda give a illusion of a saltwater tank.

It's a 20 gallon long. I was hoping to have one more species, something bright and vibrant to kinda give a illusion of a saltwater tank.

I am starting a new love affair with dwarf gouramis for some reason....

Back
Top Bottom