Lethargic momma guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guttedsquid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my female cobraskin guppies had around 30 babies a week ago. I noticed her tailfin got nipped a few days ago and it has deteriorated further. She is eating freeze dried bloodworms and sinking wafers by hikari but not much, and she is lethargic and wont interact with her tankmates. Either sits in the bottom or at the top in a corner. No other symptoms.

Params

29 gal 8 week old setup that i did a three week fishless cycle on (got some bb from Petco in the form of dirty prefilter fiber and some powdered bac from a pond store),
pH is 6.8 temp is 76,
Fluval AquaClear filter rated for 20-30 gal,
Zero ammonia, zero nitrite
10% weekly wc/surface vac and weekly dosing of florapride,
Lots of plants in sand and gravel substrate

Other inhabitants are all peaceful, just typical males pestering females:
About 20 fry
10 ghost shrimp
1 dwarf gourami
5 female guppies
7 male guppies
2 sailfin balloon mollies (m and f)
1 peacock eel 3 1/2 inches long
(yes i will upgrade to a larger tank this summer)
2 albino cory cats
1 tiny syno catfish my bf insisted on that is sure to become huge... again this summer I'm planning on getting a larger tank for the cat and eel.

So i isolated momma guppy in a breeder bc i don't have a proper place to qt. How should i proceed?

Sent from my N9510 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pics of setup

Attachments

• 1395719200280.jpg
    1395719200280.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 51
Would you say it is fin rot? Either way do 50% water changes every day or every other And add salt at 1 tblspn per 10 gallons and it should be fine. It may even get better without the salt. Either way clean water will do the trick.

Also what are your nitrates at? Fin rot is caused by a fin getting damaged and poor water conditions affecting it. I would boost up your little 10pwc to atleast 25 a week for better maintanace.

Strip test reads high nitrates, drop test shows none so beats me... freaking test strips probably went bad in this florida humidity. im going to test it tomorrow at work (unnamed corporate pet store chain).

I will pick up some aquarium salt tomorrow... is the salinity safe for my plants shrimp and nerite snails?

I will pick up some aquarium salt tomorrow... is the salinity safe for my plants shrimp and nerite snails?

Same plants yes and some no. I have no idea about the shrimp or your snails. My mts snails were fine with my salt. I wouldn't use test strips they are inaccurate and can fluctuate a lot. Remember in highschool when we did that test in science with the litmus paper and everyone got different answers? Same thing here.

Back
Top Bottom