level issues in upgraded tank... need help please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok just got home about to test my water later tonight after my lil one goes to bed but I did get a bag of crushed coral (topfin) a bottle of prime and a filter media bag as pictured.

Do I use the prime alone or with my API products and AmQuel plus? Also I couldn't find the Gh Kh test kit here in town so I'm ordering one tonight off Amazon hope its here by Saturday :)

ForumRunner_20130306_210430.jpg
My other chemicals.

ForumRunner_20130306_210613.jpg
My fish tank. The fish have not been acting any different than the fish in my buddy's moms tank that has been up for years. Her levels are normal no spikes or problems ever so she's no help.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130306_210238.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130306_210238.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 48
  • ForumRunner_20130306_210537.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130306_210537.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 40
Also should I go ahead and add the 1/w cup coral in that bag and what chemicals should I add.

I would just so the coral for now. Get it in the tank and start working. Don't add any thing else. When you do water changes dose prime appropriate to tanks size. If you want add se stress coat. Other then that. Test
Ph daily and in two or three days you should know if your coral amount is correct or need adjustment. Keep us posted!

Here is my pH. Reading this morning after adding the crushed coral last night. There are a few of how its in my filter. I only put it in the 30.

ForumRunner_20130307_094349.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130307_094246.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130307_094246.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 51
  • ForumRunner_20130307_094535.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130307_094535.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 54
  • ForumRunner_20130307_094725.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130307_094725.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 49
Looks like its coming up. Just wait another day and test again before adding more coral. You don't what it to jump to high

Ok so I went to a different lfs (that wasn't open yesterday) and got the GH and KH test kit by API I testes my tank. Gh is 7° and Kh is 5° in my tank my tap is gh 9° and Kh 10+ I stoped there cus my lil girl (almost 2) wanted held :)

You Kh and Gh is plenty high so you need to be doing more and bigger WC's to raise your tanks Kh, Gh, and Ph. Sometimes cycling causes ph flexuations. Why are you using RO water? If this tap water has no ammonia or nitrates I can't see a reason not to use it. Then you shouldn't have low ph issues.

I set out a gallon of tap n treated it with prime as directed. Tha was yesterday today I tested it and results was Ph low 7.6 high 7.4 so I'm guessing that means 7.5, ammonia .50ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 5.0ppm, gh 10°, Kh 5°.

I would just so the coral for now. Get it in the tank and start working. Don't add any thing else. When you do water changes dose prime appropriate to tanks size. If you want add se stress coat. Other then that. Test
Ph daily and in two or three days you should know if your coral amount is correct or need adjustment. Keep us posted!

First off the tank is doing great :) and looks the best it has since I've got it up and going. When you say to adjust the amount of coral I have in there how so?? I guess what I'm asking is if I play with it will I find an amount that keeps it constant or will it slowly rise over time anyways. Ill post pictures shortly after Im done with cleaning my other two tanks.

Here is the tank all levels are doing good.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130318_181426.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130318_181426.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 58
You can slowly add a bit of CC at a time until the tank settles at a ph, gh, kh you want.

Ok will the little fluctuations when I do my wc effect the fish or will I be ok there? Sorry and thank you for all the advice I'm passing it along to my friends mom and she is thankful too.

Remember to make sure your water temperatures are matching between the water in the tank and the new water you're adding. The API master kit does not have GH or KH test in it. You can get it separate though for under $10. Mine is also API.

The water I add is usually room temperature and in this blasted apartment is bout 78°F I've checked with thermometer. I did go purchase a Gh Kh test kit by API two weeks ago now and I test my water with that and the master kit once ta three times a week. I also recently got a saltwater master test kit that I found out is the exact same just different color cards so I'm good to go with ammonia nitrite nitrate and high pH test. Any other test that I should get besides the master kit and Gh/Kh test?

The only other one I have is for phosphate level as I have heavily planted thanks and want to stay on top of algae control. OS. ($8.99 at Petco) It was in the saltwater section.

Rivercats I've recently heard your the plant queen by Ian086 on another thread of mine on breeding platies and was wondering if you might suggest a easy low light plant for my 29 and possibly look at my other thread for help with breeding platy and new tank set up. Again thank you for all other advice its been extremely helpful.
Shon

Back
Top Bottom