LFS lost my respect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumma.of.two

Aquarium Advice Obsessed
So I was just at my LFS and over heard some of the staff taking to other customers. Now I THOUGHT they were pretty good there. Good advice and such but after some of the things they were saying I'm considering not shopping there anymore.

Just while I was there today I heard an employee tell a guy that rainbow fish are solitary and don't need company of there own kind but they do look nice if you get I few. I heard the same guy say that rams where VERY peaceful and not to worry about having many in a tank. Aren't rams territorial ( correct me if I'm wrong). I also heard a girl there tell a customer that red tail sharks are perfect for a 65L tank ( that's about 17g!)!

Nobody should trust what those people at the LFS say. Those employees don't get paid enough to know so much about fish.

Just make sure the fishes look healthy and the place look decent. Get the fish and go.

I figure that LFS insanity can be a necessary evil. Unfortunately, if they only sold fish to qualified customers with appropriate conditions, they would probably go out of business and we would all have to go to walmart for our fish needs. *shudder*

I'm disappointed more than anything. They do give good advice. They are the 'go to' place in town out of 5 LFS and 2 chain stores.
If it makes you feel better, their advice isn't completely wrong or right.
Rams are generally peaceful and make a good community fish. But they do like to have their own special place to hide, and they will pair off for breeding.
As far as Rainbows go, it would depend on which kind of "Rainbows" he was referring to.

If you don't trust their advice but like their fish selection then do your own homework before you purchase anything from them.

If it makes you feel better, their advice isn't completely wrong or right....

I think this is true of almost any LFS, I try to do a lot of research before I purchase and then I ask a few test questions I already know the answer too and see how they answer before I ask anything I'm really trying to find out. Obviously the inherent risk here is the quality of info I got when researching and my huge ego :) As others say, grab the fish and go!

Specific individual employees might be the concern as well. I have great respect for a few LFS employees, yet try to run from others if they are working when I stop in. As mentioned, I try to do my research and then ask their opinion to see not only if they are educated, but also how they answer. If they turn out to be arrogant myopic view fish snobs, or sales persons who will agree with, or say, anything to make a sale, I might come back to see if any one else might be more considerate.

I don't think I would write off the whole store just because of one employee.

Just my two cents. I have an lfs that is great, as far as dry goods and fish selection. Unfortunately as mentioned before it comes down to the employees. I was looking at loaches as I had a snail issue. I have a 72g so clowns were not an option, I read about zebra loaches before I went in. As mentioned before my research indicated that zebras were a schooling fish. I asked THE OWNER of the shop and he pulled out an encyclopedia. The book did not have zebras in it so he looked up a similar fish and said one would be fine. They are there to make a sale, I have fallen for it before, buyer beware. I agree with research, gab and go. My heart sank a little that day.

To be perfectly honest, I think it has a little bit to do with the size of the business. Privately owned lfs tend to have more knowledgeable staff whereas the country/ worldwide stores have... "misinformed" staff

zooking12 said:
To be perfectly honest, I think it has a little bit to do with the size of the business. Privately owned lfs tend to have more knowledgeable staff whereas the country/ worldwide stores have... "misinformed" staff

And... It really isn't their fault. You have a school aged kid looking for a job, gets hired, and told he's in the fish dept. He wants to do a good job, but knows nothing about fish and ends up repeating what he's heard or saying what he's told. With the very best intention, he ends up misrepresenting the fish.

Don't assume that a min wage employee is an expert just because he's wearing a pet store uniform. Caveat emptor.

zooking12 said:
Uhhh... hurtful. Some kids are actually interested in fish. Some have tons of tanks. Some breed fish.
Absolutely, and no disrespect to them at all. But, we aren't talking about knowledgable intelligent fish store employees. Were discussing inappropriate comments and poor advice. I'm just saying that even the best intended inexperienced employees can be mislead by what they are told or by repeating what they hear. It doesn't make the LFS bad, or the person either.

Oh I always do my research beforehand. I learnt that the hard way when I got sold a red tail shark for a 2.5g!!! (don't worry he's in a 70g now:)) I just feel sorry for all the people that don't know any better and get stuck with 3 huge gold fish in a bowl.

Remember everyone has different ways as you will see all over these pages never think someone does not know what they are talking about they may have read a different book or seen a different tv program not one person knows it all and if young people what to get into fish be it shop work or keeping we all have to start somewhere I think all you can do is take lots of advice and decide for yourself

Clown boy said:
Remember everyone has different ways as you will see all over these pages never think someone does not know what they are talking about they may have read a different book or seen a different tv program not one person knows it all and if young people what to get into fish be it shop work or keeping we all have to start somewhere I think all you can do is take lots of advice and decide for yourself

Well said. Ultimately, personal responsibility is in the decisions we make.

Back
Top Bottom