LFS recommending fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

straick

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today, I went to the last LFS in the area, and said about cycling the tank without fish. They actually said that they prefer when customers do that because they then have healthier fish.
A LFS RECOMMENDS fishless cycling. They told me the only reason that they don't insist on all customers doing it is the time aspect I know where I'm going for now on. All their fish look nice and healthy.
I asked them about some used filter media, but they don't save it. They use it till it's falling apart. Can't blame them for that. They do carry Fritz-zyme Turbo Start. Asked one of the employees when I went in if he knew of anything I could do to help speed up my cycle, and he told me that he used that on his tank. Also found out that they used the same thing to do their initial tank setup, and if they have to re-establish any filters. Figured I'd give it a shot. Fun part was driving home with no heat so that I wouldn't warm it up any more than I had too. Let you all know what happens.

That's awesome a LFS actually promotes this! It's a shame that so many of these companies that sell fish don't care about them whatsoever and would rather make them suffer in order to make a few extra $'s.

You should recommend they stock their tanks with bio-balls and sell them for maybe $10 a piece to help customers fishless cycle their tanks. I know I'd have easily paid $10 to get a huge head start on my cycle.

That has to be a first. Didn't happen to ask if they were a member here did you? lol

I like the idea of selling seeded media too.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

I concur with all of you. There would be good money in seeded bioballs. Mmmm I am gonna propose that to my Mom and Pop LFS, maybe it would be beneficial to a good relationship. He and I already talked about fishless cycling. Let you know how it pans out.

That'd be great! Like, 5 bucks for a piece of seeded filter media. Only problem there is that If the LFS has diseases like ich in the filter... you would too, but I guess you take that risk with any old filter media.

That'd be great! Like, 5 bucks for a piece of seeded filter media. Only problem there is that If the LFS has diseases like ich in the filter... you would too, but I guess you take that risk with any old filter media.

I was thinking the same thing! Obviously you can't avoid getting things from someone elses tank when obtaining livestock (and that's the point of a QT!), but other than that I'm paranoiddd.

Today, I went to the last LFS in the area, and said about cycling the tank without fish. They actually said that they prefer when customers do that because they then have healthier fish.
A LFS RECOMMENDS fishless cycling. They told me the only reason that they don't insist on all customers doing it is the time aspect I know where I'm going for now on. All their fish look nice and healthy.
I asked them about some used filter media, but they don't save it. They use it till it's falling apart. Can't blame them for that. They do carry Fritz-zyme Turbo Start. Asked one of the employees when I went in if he knew of anything I could do to help speed up my cycle, and he told me that he used that on his tank. Also found out that they used the same thing to do their initial tank setup, and if they have to re-establish any filters. Figured I'd give it a shot. Fun part was driving home with no heat so that I wouldn't warm it up any more than I had too. Let you all know what happens.

I actually was at my fav LFS last night (that fish place) and I overheard a worker having the same conversation with a customer who was buying her first tank. I heard him tell her it would probably be at least 4-5 weeks until she could get fish...she looked at him like he was crazy and said, FIVE weeks?!" lol I couldn't help but grin to myself.

I have an idea to take out the worries of ick in this brain storming session. All the LFS would need is a 20 to 30 gallon tank and a couple of dedicated HOB filters independant of a central filtration system. This would effectively isolate the tank and as far as fish.....don't bother just keep a fishless cycle going. The owner/ operator could use that to educate customers and get the word out about fishless cycling. He or she could sell the tank full of colored bio balls ( colored just for astetics). The LFS would build a level if trust from its customers and increase their bottom line... for what maybe 100 buck investment?

I would use a LFS that had that program wouldn't you? 5 bucks for each ball and a never ending supply of benificial bacteria from a disease free tank. The owner probally has everything in his or her shop already. Thanks for any suggestions as this is how I am going to pitch it to my LFS.

Yeah, these are all great ideas. They could even have a section dedicated to fishless cycling (pure ammonia, measuring devices, bio balls, etc...). Honestly I wouldn't have a problem spending even $25-30 for a package of everything because all these "instant cycling" products that are mostly useless cost over that. Honestly, you could make $ yourself making a package to sell to the lfs's to carry. I'm a sales director for my company, I might give it a try out of curiosity. That be funny, buy a bunch of their stuff and try to sell it right back to them :)

I also like that idea Deckape. Only problem is that too many people want their tank to have fish in it immediately. I know that it's been almost torture on me to not have it ready for fish yet, but at the same time I want my little fishies to be happy and healthy when I get them.

straick said:
I also like that idea Deckape. Only problem is that too many people want their tank to have fish in it immediately. I know that it's been almost torture on me to not have it ready for fish yet, but at the same time I want my little fishies to be happy and healthy when I get them.

That's why I think they need to make the price point higher than $5. You've got to make it worth the companies time to educate people on the benefits of the process and make up for the lost profit of not selling fish immediately.

Yea but what do we do when waiting for a cycle? BUY more decorations, and accessories right

Seems to my simple mind that the freshwater fish are the least expensive part of this hobby

If if were putting together a package to sell, as a joke I'd include little stickers of fish to put on your tank to have a laugh.

I know that for me at least Deckape, that's what I've done. Been bit by bit decorating my tank. As well as a little cutom fabrication(my own glass cover and a plexiglass tunnel in the gravel).

straick said:
I know that for me at least Deckape, that's what I've done. Been bit by bit decorating my tank. As well as a little cutom fabrication(my own glass cover and a plexiglass tunnel in the gravel).

That's what I mean. I have been buying stuff too. I even have a big dragon that I bought and have taken it out because it is too big for my tank...30 bucks and its on the back porch.

eco23 said:
Yeah, these are all great ideas. They could even have a section dedicated to fishless cycling (pure ammonia, measuring devices, bio balls, etc...). Honestly I wouldn't have a problem spending even $25-30 for a package of everything because all these "instant cycling" products that are mostly useless cost over that. Honestly, you could make $ yourself making a package to sell to the lfs's to carry. I'm a sales director for my company, I might give it a try out of curiosity. That be funny, buy a bunch of their stuff and try to sell it right back to them :)

I like that idea, since you could have an already cycled kit as an add on. 3-4weeks saved in cycling is worth a lot, given the amount of time spent monitoring, testing, etc. Translated into dollars and cents, that's worth a lot in my book. Plus they can still sell the fish, knowing they'll enter a new home well prepared.

Take it one step further and offer a workshop of sorts, for noobs to advanced. Someone with years of experience with FW, is a relative noob moving over to SW for the first time (like me :)). Even have local experts (many are here on AA) as guest speakers relating their experience to the same groups. An hour face to face with an experienced keeper would be worth a lot and give the LFS a AAA rating.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Back
Top Bottom